Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loved wading small creeks to fish for smallmouth and goggl
eye but the streams in my area are brush choked and big brown water moccasins and a few cotton mouths are in the every hole of water. They scared the &&&&&&& out of me and still do. I used to carry a little .410 pistol for protection but when I got older I quit fishing the small streams now in my old age I want to do it again for exercise but I don't have the .410 any more.

So what do you guys use for snake protection when wading, and don't tell me they won't bother you I know better got bit twice !

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think there is a video game to be made here. You, the player wade down the creek while cottonmouths come out after you. You are armed with a double barrel 410 derringer and your fishing rod.

:hysterical::hysterical:

·
Former Chicken Man
20,332 Posts
Originally posted by Bear
.... big brown water moccasins and a few cotton mouths are in the every hole of water.
Water Moccasin and Cottonmouth is the same snake. The others are (harmless) water snakes, but not moccasins! Sure they bite a lot when you grab them, so the easy fix is not to grab them. I've always found it difficult to get close enough anyway. I'd go down the creek with only my head sticking out of the water, and slowly get under the overhanging brush. Then I'd try to grab the snakes off the limbs before they dropped into the water and got away. Far more got away than got caught. :banghead: I've two or three swim toward me in my whole life, and even those turned away before getting close enough to grab.

When I think of snake protection, I think of protecting the snakes from people who kill them for no reason.

·
Registered
218 Posts
All I know is, in 2 incidents my brother and I have left a fishing spot because of a big snake trying to get in the boat. Very aggressive and nasty they both were. We never provoked either in any way and after they attacked the boat they both would not leave after being swatted at with fishing rods and boat paddles. Its amazing how a little 8oz. snake can scare the crap out of a 200 pound man. If I'd had a gun at those times, there would have been 2 dead snakes. I guess they probably had a nest or something near by and they wanted us out of there, so we left.

Happy wadding.

v2

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
A .22 in a shoulder holster. Light and deadly.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
I have a single barrel that shoots either long 45s or a 2.5in 410 shot shell.

I have often thought it would be a illegal weapon If I put a 410 shell in it. The barrel is less then 18 in.

Mrb told me once that they had been recalled and should not be shot with a 410 unless sent in for a update. Anyone else heard that?

:sniper:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grumpy, come on down and wade (no boat) some of these creeiks with me and you would see why a fisherman would want some protection. NO I don't believe in killing any snake I see,just the ones that are threating or get too close. one fell out of a tree and bit me another got my arm. I saw a guy who had gotten bit while floating in a canoe(cottonmouth) in a neck vein his buddy waved me down on the highway and I got him to the nearest hospital, I think he made it.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
The single/double barrel pistols that hold a 45 Colt or 2 1/2" 410 shell are legal as long as the barrel has rifling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.