Snake boots, necessary?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear (General)' started by Nicholas, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    With your folks experience here in MO, are snake boots needed here for turkey or deer hunting? Thanks again for your help.

2. Brake

Brake Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Livingston Co MO
    I don't think so. Guess maybe depends are where you are at. We have rattlers around here but I've yet to come across one in the timber that I know of. I've seen them crossing the road.

3. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    I've never worried abut it. it might not be a bad idea, but I've never seen the need to have them.

4. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    personally i don't think so i have never worn a pair
    i guess it never hurts to be to safe but i will just stick with my rockys

5. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I usually just take a pillow case, but that's so I can bring the snakes I catch back with me. :banana::dancin::eek:

6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I have a pair but not for protection from the snakes. Like Center Punch I use them cause they are much more comfortable than rubber boots and they keep your pants legs from picking up sticktights and more quiet for sneaking up on that Tom. They are also good for ankle support. When you are as fragile as I am you need all the support you can get. Wouldn't want to twist an ankle out in the woods.

7. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    All great info, thanks again!

8. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Like the rest said, I guess its all personal preference...

I like the rubber boots, but I've never tried the knee-high snake boots so I can't say anything about them either way.
    It definately doesn't hurt to be safe though! :pop:

9. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Down here they are a necessity! It's so warm during turkey season that you have to watch for snakes. A few years ago a friend of mine was sitting under a tree on a warm afternoon and dozed off. He woke when he felt something touch him. He looked down to see a black snake (black racer) curling up in his lap. He jumped up and hollered and 3 turkey flew off too. He swears he'll never go to sleep on a stand again!

10. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
  11. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Looks like a great choice there hunter7x.

12. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    What about these?
    "Forget about ill-tempered diamondback or foul-mouthed copperhead. With our Bayou Snake Boots, you're snakeproof! 100% waterproof GORE-TEX® membrane means your feet stay dry no matter what. Full-grain waterproof leather/nylon upper offers all-day walking comfort and extra resistance from wet conditions. Dual density polyurethane mini-lug outsole sticks to terrain, but won't collect mud. Heel flex notches and a removable polyurethane insole provided flexibility and extra comfort. Easy on/off zip style. Non-insulated. Color: Realtree Hardwoods Green® HD™. Average weight: 4.1 lbs. Imported. $129 BPS"

13. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Snake boots necessary? Very unlikely. But if they make you more comfortable, than why not? I would say your chances are better for winning big in the lottery than of getting bit by a snake. I've also read somewhere can't remember if it was an MDC publication or what, but that no one in Missouri has died from a snakebite.
    The boots you have pictured look good, and if they make you feel more comfortable when out in the woods I say go for it. :cool:

14. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Steve I bought a pair of those also but haven't gotten them yet. They had size 14 so I had ta do it.:D Also glad to see a review by someone I know.:cheers:

Jack

15. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Jack I like the high boots and these fit and feel like your wearing tennis shoes. I love em !

16. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I'vbought severalthings from Sportsmans guide...most the time its #1 quality

17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Hows the fit on those boots? Just buy the same size as you would normally wear in a tennis shoe? I hate buying clothes or shoes over the web... most of the time, I miss the size!

18. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I bought the same size I would wear in any other shoe. It's a non insulated boot, but has lot of padding. Very comfortable.