Snake bites?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by novicehunter, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Anyone know of anyone who has been bitten by a venomous snake during turkey season? I have seen a few snakes later in the day after hunting. Last year, I saw the bigest copperhead I have ever seen in my life, lying in the middle of the gravel road leading up to the farm we hunt at. Glad I didn't walk up to him with my 12ga., I would have shot him out of sheer fright.

2. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    don't think i have seen many snakes during the spring season. good thing to, i hate me some snakes. i have to sit and ponder on how many copperheads that i have stepped over and not even knew they were there.:eek:

3. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Oh I dont even want to think about that! I hate em tooo!:sniper::whip::behead:

4. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    You mean one of these?

[​IMG]

They're pretty much harmless and don't come out much 'cept at night. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than of being bitten by one of them.

See.....my 5 year old isn't even scared of 'em! :moon: And yes, that was one large :ass: copperhead. 36" if I remember right and big around as my wrist.

5. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I caught some nice non-venemous snakes during turkey season, but only caught Copperheads in the heat of summer.

6. ArrowJumper

ArrowJumper New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    St. Elizabeth, MO
    I hate snakes, hate em, hate em, hate em!!!!!!!:cool3:

7. MTRaised

MTRaised New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Grain Valley
    Yeah. You want to see a grown man cry show me a snake. I actually have to turn my head when they come on the T.V. DO NOT like snakes:whinging::whinging:

8. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    my sister inlaw's dog got bit by a copperhead twice last summer in south co. st. louis. once around late may and the other in late aug.
    my nephew killed a good size one the summer before,then after (a few days) the bite to the dog in aug. they found 2 baby c.h. on the driveway. since the bite in aug wasn't near as bad as the one in may they are assuming it was hit by one of the new babies the second time. guess who will go on a seek and destroy mission this year?

9. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Hey DSG, I know a guy who'll take them there copperhead skins off yo hands!!!

10. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    DSG,

you ain't foolin me, that is a dead snake, heck i ain't even scared of a dead snake. a live one will make me hydroplane though. that is dang near borderline child abuse.:rotfl:

you ain't right man.:cheers:

11. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Child abuse?.....no child abuse is not ever getting the opportunity to hold one of those things as a kid! :rotfl: He thought it was :eek:

12. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    DSG,

The time you and your son must spend together in the emergency room should be sacred.:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Guess I will blame my old man for my fear of snakes, we always killed them, us woosy Kansas boys never considered a snake a "photo oppertunity".:D

13. deerkiller012

deerkiller012 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    kansas city
    I have never ben bitten by a snake but one time me and a copple fo my frends were walking through the woods in the summer and the kid in frount of me walked right over one and almost got bit then I salw it then we picked it up and took it back to camp.

I still hate snakes:mad:

14. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    NC
    I HATE snakes with spiders a close second. Where I'm from, rattle snakes were common - you couldn't go anywhere in the summer without looking for them. And garter snakes swimming in the lake with you? Harmless or not, that ain't cool. In FL snakes are even worse. They are everywhere - and sick as h3ll!!!

15. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    Sad to say, but nothing brings out the 7 year old girl in me faster than spotting a serpant. I guess I blame my parents too. Any snake we found on our 10 acre slice of heaven was a flat goner.

My wife goes bananas if we see a mouse, but doesn't care about snakes, me, I'll take Stuart Little any ol' day.

leaker

16. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Man, snakes are awesome. I'm always picking them up out of the yard and/or ditch and bringing them to the house...In the spring when the windows are open I'll yell for the wife and she comes to see what I need, then I hold up the snake. What a hoot. Snake curling around my arm and the wife screaming obsenities. I eventually chop their heads off with a shovel and burry them in the garden, (the snake).

17. Im with you hayzer they dont bother me at all. We have a guy here who will darn nere climb a tree to get away from a garder snake. I caught one last spring while me and him were out working and walked up behind him and hollered and i had to move pretty quick to keep from catching a right hook in the ol kisser.

chad

18. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Hayzer, why you wackin' 'em after you catch 'em? :frown:

Snakes are cool!!!! :banana:

19. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Well if I don't wack 'em, my wife don't let me back in the house. She locked it up the first time. I'm a quick learner.

20. So, I guess it is safe to assume that I don't need snake boots in Missouri!