Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13,461 Posts
You're better off just buying your stuff new IMO. The stuff I see people selling is usually older than the hills or they think it's worth a new price. Do you have a budget on what you're wanting to spend on a setup? Are you looking for multiple setups? Do you plan on trolling from a boat or casting from the bank? Are you going to be trying to run divers or just using lead? I can give you several recommendations depending on what you are looking for.

You can go Amazon right now and get a 12' Okuma Tundra, Quantum Optix size 80 spinning reel and 327 yards of 80# Kast King braid for less than $100. That outfit would work for boat trolling and casting.

· Grrrrrrr
30,201 Posts
I have a rod and reel that’s not been used for one day and never caught a fish. Yes I apparently suck. But it’s not wore out.

Just saying.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
You're better off just buying your stuff new IMO. The stuff I see people selling is usually older than the hills or they think it's worth a new price. Do you have a budget on what you're wanting to spend on a setup? Are you looking for multiple setups? Do you plan on trolling from a boat or casting from the bank? Are you going to be trying to run divers or just using lead? I can give you several recommendations depending on what you are looking for.

You can go Amazon right now and get a 12' Okuma Tundra, Quantum Optix size 80 spinning reel and 327 yards of 80# Kast King braid for less than $100. That outfit would work for boat trolling and casting.
12ft for a boat rod? Seems a lil aggressive. Eagle claw ozark snagger rod and Penn 309 loaded with backing is like $70 and you could pushpole with them in a pinch. Some of those quantum reels have plastic handles that don't work out so well for big fish....or gators.

Reactions: nocam

· Registered
9,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Prolly trolling mostly.im new so prolly use weight.not sure how to use the Divers.dont really have a budget

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Prolly trolling mostly.im new so prolly use weight.not sure how to use the Divers.dont really have a budget
Google how to use divers. Super simple. Turns it from work into a drunken blast. Hard to drink when you got your hands full. Super solid rod holders, divers, and a good coozy that hides your beer. Or a stainless mug

· Banned
7,215 Posts
12' for casting
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. But ole Seth has prolly snagged more bills than i have. I'm no where near triple digits yet. But my boat is only 17' and we usually fish 3/4 people. A 12' rod seems like a good way to spill a beer.

· Registered
7,456 Posts
The long rods feel better to me when trolling also. You get a longer sweep and are a little easier on ya . But that’s me . The dipsy diver is the way to go if you want to sit back and drink beer

· Registered
13,461 Posts
Are you going to be mainly snagging on LoZ? If you're just snagging the traditional way, then any broom stick around 7' paired up with a level wind and some dacron or braid will get the job done. Divers are great, but a lot depends on where you are snagging. The only place I use them in when I'm below the 66mm on LoZ. Above there and on Tablerock has too much trash in the water and I lose too many to make it worth while to use them. I lost a lot of $$$ in divers the first few years figuring this out so you definitely pay your dues learning that deal.

· Registered
13,461 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. But ole Seth has prolly snagged more bills than i have. I'm no where near triple digits yet. But my boat is only 17' and we usually fish 3/4 people. A 12' rod seems like a good way to spill a beer.
Sounds like he'll be doing it the old fashioned way so the setup you mentioned is perfect for him. The surf rod deal is for casting as @Muleskinner mentioned. I don't use it much on LoZ unless the fish get up on the shallow mud flats, but it really shines on shallower waters such as the upper James and lower Osage. You can snag three or four guys at once, but you have to know what you're doing. Typically we just have one on the front and back decks snagging while somebody drives the boat. It will wear you out pretty fast so we just alternate every 20-30 minutes. Gives you time to eat a sammich and drink a beer to recharge for your next turn. The last guy without his limit has to keep snagging and really gets to feel the burn! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts