Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont throw them out boys and girls cause if you got a smoker, you can make a meal out of them. I used to boil them and make a pot of dumplings out of them but now I've found a way to cook them that I really like. Today I took 2 skinned turkey legs and salt and peppered them pretty good. Then I wrapped them in foil after smothering them in BBQ sauce. Next, they went on the smoker for about 6 hours along with a deer roast (which was seasoned separately and wrapped separately in foil). Pretty darn good if ya ask me. They could have been slow cooked on the smoker for a few more hours to make them a little more tender but not too shabby. I'm going to try the same with the thigh and wing soon but might season them a little different.

·
Registered
197 Posts
They also make an excellent turkey soup. IMO they taste better than the breast (leg and thigh together). I make a stock by covering the legs with water in a pot. I add cellery, onion, carrots, salt, pepper and a bay leaf. This cooks for about two hours or until the house smells awesome. Don't over cook the stock as the bone marrow can break it. Remove legs to plate to cool and strain the stock (give cooked carrots and celery to dogs). Pour stock back into the pot and add sliced carrots and celery. Cut turkey meat into small pieces and add to soup. This can now cook until carrots and cellery are done or longer. I also like to get some fresh oregano and tyme from the garden. I tie the bunch up with string and put in soup. When soup is done you can easily remove herbs with the string, of course you could add dried herbs. Salt and pepper to taste. I remove enough soup for a meal and add some cooked rice or egg noodles.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Maybe this is what we need in order to kill a turkey? Hunger! Great ideas folks. We'll definitely try them both - that is when we get a turkey. I'm nice and hungry for turkey soup now. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Maybe this is what we need in order to kill a turkey? Hunger! Great ideas folks. We'll definitely try them both - that is when we get a turkey. I'm nice and hungry for turkey soup now. Thanks a lot!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.