Smithville Lake managed Youth hunt question!?1?

Discussion in 'Youth Hunts & Photos' started by IMN2archery, Jul 13, 2017.

1. IMN2archery

IMN2archery Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Windsor Mo
    I was looking at the available managed hunt drawings for youth. Is Smithville lake even worth putting in for a 12 year old. I cannot seem to find any maps of the youth hunting location. I do see that a large area is already open to the public on the north end of the lake. Is this the same spot as youth hunt? If so it does not seem worth putting in for an area that’s been beat to death for a couple months already for a youngster to try and be successful. Can someone here clarify what I am asking???? Thank you!!!!

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Smithville Lake hunts take place on the waterfowl refuge and the park.

The area used to be loaded with deer. It is not any longer, though there are still plenty deer around. Its not an 'automatic get a deer' hunt any more. It was almost automatic before the park opened their own draw bow hunts and before blue tongue.

Your youth's chance of being drawn is consistently about one out of every three years.

It can be a tough weather condition hunt, being in December. You have to hunt from designated blinds. Some of these are VERY nice and that helps with the weather conditions.

3. IMN2archery

IMN2archery Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Windsor Mo

Thanks Buddy!!!!

4. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Did you all get in??