Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info or know of a source for info(other than S&W's website) on this pistol? I am interested in the production history or any other historical information about this series of pistols.

·
Registered
13,830 Posts
They came out in the early '70s, and ran until they starting monkeying around with the model numbers (459, 559 (very rare), 659, etc) around the mid 80s or so. They were fairly popular with good numbers sold, but they felt pretty blocky in the hand, to me, anyway. I couldn't cuddle up to them, for that reason. They were reliable, and reasonably accurate, for a 9mm. I favored the M39 myself, the 59 is the same gun, with a double column magazine(14 shots). They were double actions, which some folks can't get used to, but they were solid and dependable. They had an aluminum frame, with steel slide. They were replaced by the 459, 559 and 659, which were in turn replaced with the 5904, and 5906, and probably some others. Smith's model numbers can be REALLY confusing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.