Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some work done on a small piece of ground I have. Cost share with mdc and I had a ‘mechanical firebreak’ put in along with some areas cleared for ‘permanent forest openings’. Cost ran over, cost share was supposed to be 50%, likely to be somewhere around 25-30% in reality. However I’m satisfied with the quality of work. Soil test underway but I’m planning on putting down some lime. I’ll have to haul it all in on atv, access won’t work for the mfa truck. Goal is to put in a perennial clover plot and mix in some other fall planting at the right time.

Given the late start for seeding clover, any suggestions on how to head that route now since I’ll be planting in late spring/early summer? Also looking for any ideas on lowering cost to lime. Cheapest I’ve seen Pelletized lime is $5.00 at box stores.

·
Grand PooBah
1,758 Posts
I do have some suggestions as I have gone through the same process and made some mistakes and learned a lot. But first, what county are you in and what is your terrain like and what's around you?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the property is Camden county but close Benton, right in Climax Springs area. Lots of timber in the area. Gentle slopes on this property with one area cleared on a top of a small ridge and other is on more like a plateau where couple ridges connect. one home on the neighbors 5 acres but other neighbors are non-residents.

Its not my residence either. Im thinking Id like to plant clover, low maintenance, don't have to replant every season, fertilize and lime periodically. but im nervous getting a late start, prob put some rye down with it, then reseed in the fall and again next spring

·
Triple Creek Hunter
935 Posts
I am close to you my hunting property is in Benton County about 5 miles NW of Climax Springs. I have owned it since 2012. Used pellitized lime first few years. Bought it on sale at TS for $3 a bag in late summer .
I started out seeding Ladino clover around late Aug. I learned in the first year not lot of growth. I have used lots of different seeds but my go to mix has been turnips, radishes, and rape. I plant those late July by mid Sept deer are hammering the tops. Admit those plots have decent soil one runs right along side Big Deer creek.
You might try a mix of clover and cereal rye the rye will be great food source the first year while your clover is getting started. Also the terminated rye the next year adds biomass to your soil.. Deer really hammer it stays green through the winter and very easy to grow and cheap. I buy all my seed at Millers Seed in Clinton MO.
I am sure you have same issue with rocks everywhere. I have a tiller but keep knocking chain off hitting rocks. I use a 5 ft gang disc to breakup ground, hand seed then just run over whole plot with my UTV several times. Works for me without expense of a cultipacker .
Would be happy to show you my plots.

·
Registered
19,682 Posts
Plant Green Natural landscape Vegetation Grass
Plant Natural landscape Groundcover Grass Grass family
Plant Grass Groundcover Shrub Flowering plant
Plant Natural landscape Groundcover Terrestrial plant Grass
Clover tends to establish better with fall seeding.... nothing lost on the timing/completion of your plot sites... I agree with your initial plan.... spend your time, $$$$ getting your soil in line... Study-Pick entry/exit points in conjunction with your stand locations that keeps disturbance, pressure on the plot and surrounding area at a low level... If you can get your hands on some RR soybeans you might consider such a planting whereas you can treat (glyphosate) the plot throughout the summer while providing some food. Anytime you disrupt the soil your going to release the seed bank.. A seeding of RR beans will assist in controlling the seed bank eruption that’s sure to come. The RRSB and Gly TX’s will produce a “clean” plot for your fall seeding/establishment of clover. Congratulations on your improvements !

·
Grand PooBah
1,758 Posts
So on my plots, when I first had the permanent forest openings (food plots) put in, I couldn't stand to see the bare ground so I tried planting beans/sunflowers in May. They did not do much then planted clover in areas and tried turnips/wheat on the rest. Over the next year, the clover did come on, but I had a problem with the bare ground burning up anything that I tried to plant. My biggest problem was a hard pan with little organic matter in my soils. I got the ph to a decent level, but no organic matter to hold moisture and break up the soil.
My suggestion is to work on your soils (lime) and plant buckwheat this year. That buckwheat will grow on concrete. It is a good green manure, helps to build organic matter and builds phosphorus in your soil. It is not always a big attractant to deer, although they have learned to love it at my place. Plant it heavy and let it go. It matures quickly and by late July it will be dropping seeds and drying up.
Then in August (with proper rainfall), I would plant your clover and cover crop. I would mix in some radishes/turnips but heavy on the white clover with your choice of wheat/rye/oats with the radishes/turnip mixed in.
Until you start to get some organic matter built into your soils, don't expect much. It will take a while, but focus on building the organic matter. Buckwheat is a great start, then a strong cover crop to help establish your clover. Next year you should have to spray and keep your grasses down until your clover gets well established in a year or so.
Overseed your clover every fall and spring.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lot of good ideas here. Sounds like it would be best to hold off planting any clover right now. Maybe put in some Rye, Buckwheat, RR soybeans...along with the recommended lime for the soil. I'm somewhat reluctant on the beans due to small size of the plots. Then seed the clover in the late summer/early fall with a cover crop.

As for the plots, the largest area is about 1.3 acres. outside of that one, there are 3 other areas of varying size/shape, the smallest is prob 1/8 acre, then one mightbe 1/4 and the last is prob just over 1/2 acre. All should get decent sunlight.

·
Triple Creek Hunter
935 Posts
If your property is anything like mine was 10 years ago you will have issue trying to grow beans. I would stick to your plan try to build up your soil. There are still plots on my place that just don't do well. I have planted cereal rye in those plots last couple years hoping to add biomass to soil. Grant Woods on Growing Deer has worked wonders with his property in Southern MO.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why can’t the MFA truck get in there? If it’s just because the roads are to narrow I would widen them. A day with a chainsaw and a pole saw and you can do a lot of widening.
access road has about a 150* turn on a hill, then where that road crosses a drainage its pretty steep on both sides. when its wet, no way would i want that truck driving that road.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have some round up ready corn if you want some I’m in Camdenton
Thank you for for the offer. I tend to lump corn into the same boat with beans at this location, I just didnt feel either would do well in the soil as a stand alone and what does come up would likely be gone with minimal browse pressure.

however i did end up planting this morning. I went with a mix of summer annuals and am hoping that I shouldnt have to contend with much this fall/winter. I put out buckwheat and spring mix the lebanon MFA office had. tag says "CONSERVATION SPRING MIXTURE contains sorghum, millet, peredovic sunflower, laredo soybeans, buckwheat and cow peas." Depending on what the plots look like in late summer, I may go ahead and terminate with gly at that time and then plant the clover and fall mix.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Bin run wheat cost almost nothing then broadcast clover in September. I have not messed with lime in 15years and PH is probably 4.8. Still produce good tonnage per acre but will need frost seed additional clover seed every couple years. Also gly is $50 a gallon right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts