Small game muzzleloaders?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by BigJay, Oct 8, 2017.

1. BigJay

BigJay Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Jefferson County, MO
    Guys, when looking for a small .32/.36 caliber rifle, what are my choices?

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I have a cva 32 cal squirrel rifle, not sure if they still make them but you will occasionally run across one on armslist or gun broker. I think Cabelas sells one made by traditions. No experience with those.

BigJay likes this.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    New, mass produced, I fear today your pickin's are pretty slim. I see one pop up on the used market occasionally but even then uncommon would be a fairly accurate description. I think cj might be right about Traditions but they've never been on my radar.

4. tinhorn

tinhorn New Member

Jun 29, 2016
    I've shot both calibers and it seems to me that if the powder is a little off when measuring it the 32 cal hits off more than of the 36 did.

but I only use 45 calibers and use about 30 grains 3f for sqrlls (a small hole, no garbage) and 70 gr for deer. The target hits good at 30 yards at 30 gr and good 80 yards with 70 gr

I mean with round balls, I only have traditional guns...

5. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Member @dhaverstick can hook you up withthe guy who builds some dandy rifles at great prices. You wanna watch him though, he put the locks on the wrong side of Darrens flintlocks :D Darren is a Southpaw, so we give him grief every chance we get.
    If you want the very best, Matt Avance of Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading makes an incredible rifle to your specs

6. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Dixie Gun Works has a few for sale.
    Pedersoli has a .32 cal.

sharps4590 likes this.
  7. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    I know a Shotgun but I was thinking the same .32 Cal.

But think about it if you find a 12Ga. Muzzleloading Shotgun you can use it for Small Game and Turkeys and you will use it more.

000_1640ft.jpg 000_0672sq.jpg

oneshot

:D Then if you have the Big grin you have a Good Dog

BigJay and manitou1 like this.
  8. dhaverstick

dhaverstick High-tech Hillbilly

Jan 12, 2012
    Fair Grove, MO
    My friend, John Pruitt, has several small caliber rifles that he has made that I'm sure he would part with if a deal could be struck. I think he has a mix of flintlocks and percussion caps. PM me if you want his phone number.

Here is a pic of the two he just made for me. Mine is a 54 caliber flintlock and my dad's is a 50 caliber mule ear lock.
    [​IMG]

Darren

9. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    As far as differences between the two there isn't a lot when it comes to small game. My opinion is head shots are necessary with either as both can be pretty destructive with body shots, certainly more destructive than I like. Shoot 'em in the head and either one is fine.

One can get into all the ballistics hoo-hah but for the ranges small game is taken at it's just an exercise in math. one is effective as the other. Get into a little bigger game, say the size of a yodel dog, and the 36 has a fair advantage. Both are miserly when it comes to lead and powder consumption and my experience has been one is as accurate as the other given the same quality of barrel, sights and lock.

tinhorn has a good system worked out and Manitou is way ahead of me in what's available. As oneshot posted, a double gun isn't a bad choice either. The old double gun smoke poles are a heck of a lot of fun once you get a load worked out and, you can fiddle with them endlessly looking for a better load.

10. BigJay

BigJay Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Jefferson County, MO
    Well, I have thought of buying the 12 gauge black powder adapter from Short Lane Arms....

11. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Traditions offers a cheaper 32cal or 36cal sidelock. Pedersoli are a whole lot nicer if its in your budget.

Rice Barrel is now offering T/C Hawkens drop in barrels for $350 too.

Yes, i am making Drop in barrels for the T/C Hawken and Renegade.

DETAILS:

T/C Hawken will be availabe in 28” & 32”. all calibers that Rice Barrel Co offers up to and including 50 cal.
    32 cal 36 cal and 40 cal will have 1-48” twist rifled with deep grooves ( .010 - .012 ) for patched round ball.
    45 cal and 50 cal will have a 1-66” twist rifled with deep grooves ( .010 - .012 ) for patched round ball
    45 cal FAST TWIST with a 1-18” twist with a groove depth of .0035 - .004 for a bullet. Actual bore dia is .451 ( Made out of 4140 crome moly steel)
    45 cal FAST TWIST with a 1-28” twist with a groove depth of .0035 - .004 for a sabot. Actual bore dia is .451 ( Made out of 4140 crome moly steel)
    50 cal FAST TWIST with a 1-24” twist with a groove depth of .0035 - .004 for both bullet and sabot. ( made out of 4140 crome molly steel)

T/C Renegade will be offered in the same lengths and calibers as the T/C Hawken with the addition of the 54 cal.
    54 cal with a 1-66 twist rifled deep (.010 - .012 ) for patched round ball

I am machining the breech plugs from bar stock in house. As well as the thimbles, underrib & hanger. The barrels come with Williams front and rear sights. The barrel comes in the white. I am not supplying a ramrod or nipple.

PRICE:
    T/C drop in with round ball twist……………….. $350
    T/C drop in with FAST TWIST ………………… $395

If you have any other question please feel free to ask. Have a great day.

Sincerely,
    Jason Schneider
    Rice Barrel Co.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    BigJay likes this.
  12. BigJay

BigJay Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Jefferson County, MO

13. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    I would have a VERY hard time paying $400+ for a traditional style Spanish import. I would rather find a deal on a Renegade that needs a barrel and buy the Rice barrel for it.

sharps4590 likes this.