Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from a friend in Kesoqua, Ia. Said he saw a few deer hang that were really small about like a big dog. He couldn"t believe it he is a 70 yr old native of Iowa and was wondering if deer inbread, I don"t know. He sold his farm but I hunted on his place for 30 yrs and 4 of us including him and his boys never killed such small deer. Heck even the small ones were good sized I even shot a doe once that weighted near 200 lbs.
I wonder what is going on ?:cheers:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I hunted Iowa all season and didn't experience any difference in the size of deer from prior years. Was he hunting the shotgun seasons?? I have been glassing fields in the evening round the Oskaloosa area and have noticed some bucks that look as if the skin is actually hanging from them and I would say this is due to the intense rutting activity they experienced. I arrowed a young doe up there this year that was the size of a good buck in central MO

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
late drop would be my guess

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
They were midget deer because their growth was stunted as the doe smoked while she was pregnant:D

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
My buddy shot one two years ago that was like a normal sized fawn for around here in central MO. Usually the fawns aren't much smaller than our big does around here. That's the only one we've killed like that up there though so I'm guessing it was just a late born deer. She still ate good, just wasn't much on her. :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts