Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to slug my .54 and Encore to see the true diameter. How should one with limited IQ go about dumping in the lead or would another medium be preferred? How does one go about plugging the barrel and about how much below the crown should I plug it? Any ideas on how to lube the barrel so's I can get the slug out easily? If my brains was in my thumbs I'd have ten of 'em! Thanks for replies, 1madjack:banana:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Lead is gonna contract a small amount when it cools, that's why I just push an oversize bullet into the bore then back out. Lee REALs and Maxi-balls are generally enough oversized on the top band that you can get some good readings there.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...?p=384&title=CERROSAFE~+CHAMBER+CASTING+ALLOY that stuff would prolly be more accurate and simpler to use.

Clean yer barrel thoroughly, then apply a thin layer of gun oil. If you have any tight fitting wads, you could put one of them on cleaning rod just above a wire brush. Wrap a patch around the brush (that will hopefully catch anything that leaks past the wad). Put a bit of oil on the rod, insert your gizmo a few inches into the bore making sure you are well into the rifling. The barrel should be warmed at least to room temp. Pour in bout 300 grains of molten lead and let the whole thing sit while it cools to room temp. You should be able to slowly withdraw the rod once the lead is cool. Mic'/caliper the diameters at the thickest (grooves) and thinnest (lands) areas. Take measurements at several spots - should all be the same.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Do NOT pour hot lead into your barrel! Use an oversized pure lead bullet and push it through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.