Skinsit... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Gakic24, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Sucks, takes longer than just running the knife back through them. My cousin won one used it a couple times now it just collects dust. And he cleans a LOT of crappie year round, still uses green and yellow Mr Twister electric fillet knives

2. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    They are slow and make the fillet look like it was ran through a tenderizer. 1/3 as fast as a good knife.

Mailman likes this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Gimmick....give me an electric filet knife any day.

farmnhunt likes this.
  4. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    I've got one if you want to buy it

5. jehrbo

jehrbo Full Fledged Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Oh Fallon
    Lectric knife's are a gimmick too.:D

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I would think that thing would be a mess to clean up. It’s a lot easier to just wipe a knife clean for now at the fish station and wash it up later. If that thing isn’t cleaned right away, I bet its a booger to get de-fished.
    Better mousetrap, trying to solve a problem that doesnt exist.

421sd likes this.
  7. farmnhunt

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    electric knives are not a gimmick, The good ones are great! I clean thousands of fish a year an use an electric knife on every one. American angler is my favorite.

Mailman likes this.
  8. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    So which is better? An electric knife or a real Filet knife. I realize an electric knife may be faster, but in my prime I could filet a 100 fish before someone could even find electric for their powered knife. I recon I could just get my wife to go out and pick me up some fish sticks, right after she rotates the tires and changes the spark plugs......

9. farmnhunt

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    I think an electric knife is much faster and far less wrist fatigue. But, there are lots of guys who swear by a good fillet knife. Each to his own. Mine is in a tool box on the dock so it's always ready.

10. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    When I clean fish, I don't like to leave anything behind. I use one of the rapala short fillet knives on just about everything. I can't imagine that an electric can be controlled as well, so I've never tried.

I don't sit down to clean a ton of fish at once very often. If I did, I expect that my precision would become much less important...

11. PHhunter

PHhunter MOD-ER-ATOR

Jan 22, 2007
    Woods.
  12. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Scale em and fillet them with the skin on.

13. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I got an American Angler for Christmas last year. Best feeling and best cutting knife I've ever owned hands down......expensive but worth every penny.

14. farmnhunt

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    Mailman, mine has ran through about 9000 crappie and white bass and is still going.

15. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Here is my best and long time friend Clint Hibdon demonstrating the American Angler filet knife at Bass Pro here in Independence Mo. He fishes the crappie tournament circuit each year and has won a few times. He is a cousin to Ghido Hibdon and his son Dion Hibdon of FLW Bass Fishing Tournament fame.

16. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Yelp lot of trouble cleaning fish.

Yelp got to train them women right.

oneshot

:D You know the Big Grin is a Watch Dog? :p Yelp she watches them carry everything out. 002.jpg 001-8.jpg