Skinning your deer do's and don't's

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Hideandwatch, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

Just wondering how everyone goes about skinning their deer. I'm not talking about skinning to save the cape for a mount, just general skinning. I have only skinned a few deer and can't seem to get around the fact that as I skin I am creating a lot of cut hair that sticks like it had super glue on it to the meat. What do you do in skinning to prevent having hair flying everywhere?

:cheers:

2. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Take your time. We hang the deer by the back legs and start from there. As you peel the hide down, it over laps itself keeping the hair contained.

3. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Hang them by the back legs then cut the hide around the back knees, then split it down the back of the legs where the white and brown hair meet, all the way to where you cut pelvic area. Then start pulling from belly side and back side. The hide will meet back in one piece once you get around the hind quarters. Then keep pulling down. The fron shoulders can be a bit tricky. I always mess the first one of the year up on one side.

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Take short strokes with your VERY SHARP KNIFE. A skinning (curved blade) works best. I've skinned well over a hundred and I still get some hair on the meat especially on a windy day....or at night with a dim light.

5. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1867672&tid=130021&author=Reflex]Take your time. We hang the deer by the back legs and start from there. As you peel the hide down, it over laps itself keeping the hair contained.[/rquote]

Yep. Around the legs it the toughest part to keep the hair to a minimum.
    Peel down up the neck and cut it off with hide attached. Very little hair this way. I also use a gut hook to go inside the rear leg to the joint where I then go around the leg.
    As long as the blade is under the hide you shouldn't lose much hair. Just don't cut the hide from the outside, that's what gets hair everywhere. :cheers:

6. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pKeor-a2HcE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pKeor-a2HcE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

7. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

[rquote=1867679&tid=130021&author=Mailman]Take short strokes with your VERY SHARP KNIFE. A skinning (curved blade) works best. I've skinned well over a hundred and I still get some hair on the meat especially on a windy day....or at night with a dim light.[/rquote]

I use a Piranta, new blade for every skinning.

8. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I do reverse of the video. I hang by the back legs, skin out until the top of the hind quarters, put me a baseball under the hide, tie a rope around it, and pull it off with the 4 wheeler. Simple and very little hair, this would be great to do before gutting, but works well after gutting too.:wave:

9. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I only end up with hair around the back legs where i make my intial cuts. After I drop the hide about 8 or 10 inches, I take a torch to that area so singe off all of the hair on the meat. No more hair problems past that point.

Parker

10. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1867699&tid=130021&author=Parker]I only end up with hair around the back legs where i make my intial cuts. After I drop the hide about 8 or 10 inches, I take a torch to that area so singe off all of the hair on the meat. No more hair problems past that point.

Parker[/rquote]

X2 but I wait till done skinning to be sure no more hair gets on the meat.

11. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    [rquote=1867719&tid=130021&author=judah][rquote=1867699&tid=130021&author=Parker]I only end up with hair around the back legs where i make my intial cuts. After I drop the hide about 8 or 10 inches, I take a torch to that area so singe off all of the hair on the meat. No more hair problems past that point.

Parker[/rquote]

X2 but I wait till done skinning to be sure no more hair gets on the meat.[/rquote]

This method works good, I don't do it like that any more but use to, I don't worry about the hair anymore, it's very light anymore and I wash it off or it comes off when I put the meat on ice for a few days.

12. ImADoeBuster

ImADoeBuster New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Jefferson City
    Like others I hang by the back legs and most of the hair is right at that knee where I cut around and then down the inside of the back leg. I have a short filleting knife I use to do my skinning with the thin small blade is just easier to use for me and I keep it plenty sharp while skinning deer out.

13. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

I might be the only one but I prefer to have a slightly dull knife because I feel like I have more control. Of course I never could sharpen a knife to save my life

When little errors are made, the hide (or my finger) is not cut because the edge just wasn't sharp enough to do damage with that accidental swipe.

14. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

90 acres has the right idea, quick and painless, thats how I do it, I want mine gutted muy pronto :cheers:

15. icbigiowabucks

icbigiowabucks New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Knoxville Iowa
    after done sinning it down i take a small torch and burn off the hair, be careful not to burn the meat just enough to get the hair, sure beats picking it off 1 by 1

16. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I take it to our place, take a couple of minutes to make a few cuts, hook it to the winch and 15 or so seconds later it's skinned. No nicks, no hair.

17. 10pointer

10pointer Senior Member

Nov 10, 2003
    St.Charles CO
    Ive done it a different way the past few times after learning about it from my good friend.

I only use it for does, it wouldnt work if i needed a cape.
    I hang it by the neck cut around the front legs and start pulling the hide down from where I cut the neck with a pair of pliers and then grab the hide and pull down off the back legs by hand or if its tough use a baseball under the hide to tie a rope to and pull it off with an atv etc.

Then i gut the deer I think it makes it easier to just cut a little belly skin with the hide already removed to avoid hitting any guts etc. put a trashan under the hanging animal and the guts are helped by gravity to fall right out. Slice the neck and reach up and the esophagus comes right out when you reach up and slightly pull down on it.

I think it keeps it alot cleaner (keeps me pretty clean too) and gets it off the ground and out of the leaves and dirt. And i dont have any hair on anything.

Give it a try :)
    I was skeptical at first but I dont think ill go back to another way (unless I dont have a way to hang it right after the kill.)

18. semodeerhunter

semodeerhunter New Member

Dec 25, 2002
    perryville mo
    Where I work we cut up the throat and around the ears and hook a chain around the hide and ears and another chain on a hoist around its neck and pull the deer up and the hide peels right off.

19. Detrhoyt

Detrhoyt Horny D

Oct 26, 2008
    Work
    Skin the deer while it is still warm, if possible. Wait until after it has cooled before de-boning the meat, if possible. Things seem to go much easier that way.:cheers: