Skinning out/filleting cats...

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by cordwood, Jun 5, 2009.

1. cordwood

cordwood New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Virginia
    After butchering up a few fillets this year, I figured theres got to be a better way of doing it. So anyhow, I searched youtube and found a new best way to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edsJOuwcRKg&feature=PlayList&p=775BF96922B56676&index=45

I just got thru skinning two bluecats like this earlier and it works great...I just used reg old pliers and left the head attached. I got more meat than normal and nice clean looking boneless fillets. The first one took more time than usual, I zipped right thru the second one. I had plenty left over so I even put some in a freezer bag with water to try out.

Anybody else do it like this or have a better way? Ive never added water to a freezer bag...does it help preserve the fillets?

2. thompson

thompson Active Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I will never skin a catfish again. I fillet them just like I would a crappie. If they are not big enough to fillet, they go back in the water.

3. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    I have always cleaned 'em that way.
    I make a couple of extra cuts to pull the skin off easier, but that is how my grandpa taught me.

Feller in the video needs to sharpen his knifes...

4. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm with thompson on that.

5. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    no skinnin or scalin here

6. DCL

DCL Active Member

Feb 15, 2006
    [rquote=1287752&tid=90056&author=thompson]I will never skin a catfish again. I fillet them just like I would a crappie. If they are not big enough to fillet, they go back in the water.[/rquote]

Same here.

7. ad870

ad870 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    NE Arkansas
    I usually add water. Seems to me like they would keep longer without freezer burning.

Another thing to consider is that if you add water and the electric goes out like it did for 7 days here this winter then you have some good chunks of ice around your fish and they will keep longer in your deep freeze.

Of course even with that we had to have a fish fry on about day 5 or 6.

8. 1wallhanger

1wallhanger Member

Dec 27, 2006
    The OC
    [rquote=1287893&tid=90056&author=DCL][rquote=1287752&tid=90056&author=thompson]I will never skin a catfish again. I fillet them just like I would a crappie. If they are not big enough to fillet, they go back in the water.[/rquote]

Same here. [/rquote]

Yeah buddy. Still pretty new to me, but it's definitely the way to do it.

9. deerhunter365

deerhunter365 Active Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Salisbury/Marceline
    I skin channel cats before i fillet them, Still havent gotten very good at getting the skin off of the fillet so i just stick with skinnin them.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    no skinnin here, fillet em, then fillet the skin off. easy as pie.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    i'll clean a cat like fishshooter showed me from now on. fillet it, no skin, and the most important thing is to cut the tail and let it blead out. nothin but nice clean meat left. i will use a lectric fillet knife on smaller channies though. my fillets go into water, they keep fine, very little oxigen. vac bags are great but kinda spensive.