Since this is MY board....

Discussion in 'Whitetails General 2010' started by JMAC, Jan 31, 2006.

1. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    We're gonna talk about what I want to talk about!

Namely, the Fair Tax. Who's heard of it? Who's in favor of it? Who is against it? Why are you for/against it?

www.fairtax.org

2. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003

3. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Ron JR

:hysterical::hysterical:

4. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Ron Jr, your link doesn't work.

5. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I know. You'll have to copy and paste. Sorry. It must not recognize a .org as a valid link or something.

6. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Looks like they favor a federal sales tax. I bet the big corporations and the state governments will really fight that idea.

7. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    You know if everyone payed there share a flat 5% or something like that and put a ceiling on deductions the problems with budgets and social security would go away.

8. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Actually, Walmart, the icon of retail business, has already pledged that if the Fair Tax were inacted, they would drop their prices by 23% the next day. I don't have a link to that statement so I can't substatiate the claim.

But remember, if you do away with the income tax, the financial burden on companies to comply with the tax code would go away.

9. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I like your idea but it was already tried. In 1987 our tax code was reduced to a two-tier flat tax. 15% and 28% (or something like that). Since then, there have been over 12,000 revisions to the IRS tax code. It's back to being just as bloated as it ever was, and, argueably, moreso.

The Fair Tax calls for abolishing the 16th amendment, which would completely do away with the income tax.

10. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Well the diffenece is that every millionaire in the world has better tax deductions than the average tax payer so they don't pay the tax they should cut the loop holes for the rich. A flat tax should be the same for the rick as well as the middle class, same number of deductions, and same type of deductions. Not to mention taxing their offshore holdings.

11. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    In dealing with your comment, we have to investigate WHY that money is in offshore investments to begin with. The answer IS tax burden. Do away with the tax burden and what happens? That money comes back to the US to be invested in the economy.

As far as the loop holes, LET'S DO AWAY WITH THEM COMPLETELY! For everyone! No deductions. Everyone would be on a level playing field! And since there would be no taxes on income in the form of growth, it would give companies incentive to invest in the United States.

We would be the most economically free nation in the world.

12. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    You have got to be kidding me! Just because some people have made livings for themselves and can utilize the system, and control the system does not mean they can not benefit from everything they deserve! My goodness men, work harder, get richer, benefit more and leave the better off alone. We all have a place in society, just because you, I or anyone else do not have the benefits someone else has does not mean we should be restricted in our lives. Loop holes are there for all of us, just try to get financial aid when your wealthy on paper, but you can not afford to pay your next toy payment. Sorry to ramble, I just get excited when people say the more fortunate are there because of loop holes and not just plain hard work!
    :soapbox:

13. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    If you'll notice, I did not claim that anyone got to where they were because of tax loop holes. I simply was simply trying to appeal to Big John because, evidently, he believes our tax structure is not "fair".

I believe, as you do Nicholas, that hard work and determination are the methods by which anyone can succeed if they want to.

But you cannot dispute that our tax structure is broken. In fact, it penalizes success. The Fair Tax plan fixes this.

14. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Sometimes I just think some people do not think prior to speaking, yes me included. I come from SoCal, I admire Pres. Ron, he used to fly into Pt. Mugu N.A.S. while I was there and he was a rather nice man to deal with. His philosophy on taxes was not his own, look at the former office holder to who left today, Greenspan! What the heck do we have that dept. for?

15. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    The Fair Tax plan was not President Reagan's plan. But Greenspan has endorsed it.

Representative John Linder (R-GA) was the primary sponser of the bill, HR-25. The plan is also before the Senate, S-25.

You are yet to say how you feel about this plan, Nicholas. That was the intent of my initial post.

16. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Fair tax is "in." Neil Bortz for President.....

This post rocks out McGyver! :cheers:

The fair tax is like leg...........help spread the word! :wink4:

17. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Bwahahahahahahahhhhhhhh

I'm with Boortz on this one: I think he has WAY too many skeletons in the closet to run for President. But I'd vote for him, sure as shootin.

18. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Well I actually support the Fair Tax.

:wave:

19. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Good! As DSG so eloquently put it, SPREAD THE WORD!

20. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    By the way folks, is the Tax Code over 5000 PAGES yet?

:wave:

Last I heard was 4000!