Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Christmas is past, I\'m gonna start a new MDC thread.

From reading some of the threads this month, ranging from AR's to changes in landowner tags, to how much MDC employees make annually, I've come to realize that there are some who look for any reason they can find to bash authority, whether it be regular LEO, to agents, to politicians. The very vocal minority. This question is not directed at you guys. We already know how you feel. This thread is directed at the average hunter/conservationist. The not so vocal majority.

What do you expect from the MDC? I know this is a very broad subject, but the MDC has a very broad range of duties & a very broad range of different people to apease.

I'm not bringing these topics up to start trouble & expect everyone to behave like adults when discussing these topics. I'm very pro MDC & have been vocal about my support to them. But, there is a lot I don't know about the MDC that some of you do & I want to learn more, as I believe many others on this site want to do. So, let's keep talking about these topics & educating each other. Knowledge brings power, so let's empower ourselves.

·
Registered
18,520 Posts
They have a tough job to handle and will never make all involved happy. They are doing a great job I think in all aspects. They let citizens voice their opinions, yet make sound decisions for wildlife and all involved.

The best thing they implemented was the PLC division since most lands in MO are private.

The only thing I would like for them to do is move the deer gun season back, :peepwall: :whistle:

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
i personally dont have a problem with the deer management end , I have a problem with the illegal end, crack down on poaching and get the local departments involved,police sheriffs and hwy patrol, they need to send a huge message that it wont be tolerated:whiteflag:

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Pipe
i personally dont have a problem with the deer management end , I have a problem with the illegal end, crack down on poaching and get the local departments involved,police sheriffs and hwy patrol, they need to send a huge message that it wont be tolerated:whiteflag:
How are they supposed to fund the additional manpower pipe? The overwhelming complaints they received about changing the landowner acreage took that additional revenue out of the loop & everything else that's been proposed to increase revenue has met a similar fate.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Originally posted by pinwheel
How are they supposed to fund the additional manpower pipe? The overwhelming complaints they received about changing the landowner acreage took that additional revenue out of the loop & everything else that's been proposed to increase revenue has met a similar fate.
increase the fines, and it should pay for it self in the long run

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
increase the fines, and it should pay for it self in the long run
Not up to the MDC to set the fine rates. It's up to the elected judge to pass sentencing. And we know how liberal a lot of them are. Not overly hunter friendly to begin with.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I guess I would like to see higher ups, pay more attention to the agents instead of a bioligist that is never in the field in Chariton County.
I get alot of assistance from my local agents, but really feel MDC could do a little better job with food plot seed, and distribution, lots of times the seed is old with no germ,
I really liked the laws program where they paid you to
leave a certain amount I would like to see a program if you
put in plots at your expense, the agent or PLC comes by and says you have 10 acres of food plots they would then give you cost share for your hard work, It would inspire people to use better practices and better seed and benefit the wildlfe better, for instance right now Im satisfied in a 3-4 mile radius of my place I am the only one that has any standing beans for the critters, Just a thought.

As far as enforecement I think our agents are top notch and do a great job,
I do however wish the judges would back them up better with fines and punishments, our agents said they could write more tickets on a violation but the judge doesnt like when they do and will knock things off, so they have to guess what he will allow, and do the best they can,

·
Registered
14,151 Posts
i expect them to regulate the permits, and state land.....there job is to make sure anyone can have a place to hunt and that the population of all missouri animals is healthy

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
I think for the most part they do a great job. From the little ive dealt with the education and outreach guys, they are all serious about what they do. I think there are some issues, more a divide among the hunting community actually than an issue with the MDC. I dont think the sky is falling or that we need to put on our foil hats. I realize it wouldnt be easy, but i think the herd needs micromanaged more than it is now. Rather than regions, or counties even. And i realize that is in a large part up to us as the hunters. But i dont think in any way are unlimited doe tags a healthy thing for as much of the state as they cover. Up north, probably so. But in the areas surrounding me that have them, i dont feel they are a good deal. That, and the whole migration toward the MDC taking steps toward trophy management.

As a whole i think they do a pretty dang good job. But hey, nothing is perfect.

I guesswhat i see could use some work from the MDC is to not focus on trophy deer management, and leave that up to the individual. And also i think some more in depth research on the actual effect of overharvesting of does will cause in the long run.

As i said for the most part they do a pretty dang good job. I just feel that they are more tasked to manage the herd, than to limit buck size to help create mature trophies.By that i mean not contradicting thereselves by implementing unlimited doe tags and ARs in the same area. Cause the way i see that makes no sense. They are raising the tag limit on does because the area is overpopulated, and then putting a size restriction on bucks. If the area is overpopulated and overbrowsed, i feel carrying capacity is a bigger issue there than growing more mature trophies. Which is less likely to happen if it is overpopulated and there isnt enough food.

Good job MDC..:cheers::cheers:

·
just a no body
14,563 Posts
In the BIG PICTURE I think MDC does a marvey job and does the best they can. I would like to see improvement in what I will call "customer service." I can only go by my personal experienceand I'msure ther are very nice & proffessional agents out there so this is not a blanket statement...BUT my interactions with CDOW agents in Colorado have been allot more positive than mine with the MDC agents. I mentioned to a agent this very thing as I was getting info about Elk Tags & he mentioned that their Director stress's good public relations..he dwells on it and hammers it. Also he mentioned that other concervation depts get too involved in trying to go into other areas such as drug enforcement... the CDOW wont even go there. The DOW officers do everything they can NOT TO give you a ticket.

Note * I have never recieved a ticket from an MDC agent so this is NOT sour grapes ..just an observation from my own personal experiences & I know that others feel the same way.

I will not debate this and get into a big :blah::blah::stickfight:but you asked

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
dont know if this is what you wanted, but i disagree with the ARs. i'm not a "rack" hunter, just like shooting a deer, any decent sized deer, that is. i pretty much feel that once the bucks all get bigger, meaning more trophies, we'll be bombarded with outfitters selling our deer, and will prolly make it harder to get/keep a lease, their pockets are deeper than mine. not a politician at all, just feel that we dont need that. i realize i'm in the minority, according to the MDC.

i applaud the MDC on all other accounts, they do a stellar job, IMO, with the limited resources that are available.

pin ? pull this, if its not what you were after, dont want to start any AR debate, merely my .02 worth !

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by beanpile
I will not debate this and get into a big :blah::blah::stickfight:but you asked
I didn't start this thread for it to be a free for all or a big fight. If it turns into that, I'm gonna be the first to grab the keys & lock it up. Discussion is healthy. Different viewpoints are healthy. Talking & debating ideas solves problems. Arguing don't. This thread isn't for those that want to argue. If a guy has different views than I have & want's to discuss them like an adult, I'm all ears & encourage candor. Just not bashing for the sake of bashing. Back it up with experience or facts & not emotion & we may just come up with some solutions.:cheers:

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by knockemdeadd
pin ? pull this, if its not what you were after, dont want to start any AR debate, merely my .02 worth !
Like I said in my last post. What I would like to see is candor, experience & facts brought into the discussion. I assure you, MWT is viewed my a lot of members of the MDC. We may very well provide some insight if we act like adults.:cheers:

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Originally posted by knockemdeadd
Like I said in my last post. What I would like to see is candor, experience & facts brought into the discussion. I assure you, MWT is viewed my a lot of members of the MDC. We may very well provide some insight if we act like adults.:cheers:
guess i have to bow out then, I will never grow up :D

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Its pretty simple for me...I expect the MDC to do what is best for the state resources and not succumb to outside pressures of telling them how to do their jobs...unless the outside pressures have the scientific and biological data to say that mismanagement is occurring. I don't want the insurance companies to dictate whether we have too many deer, I want it to be the biologists. I don't want anti's dictating whether a CA is open or closed to hunting, I want it to be based on local game populations, sound rationale, and safety. I want them to restore areas that were once part of the Missouri landscape, not because the butterfly catchers think its pretty, but because those types of ecosystems are nearly extinct.

·
Registered
18,520 Posts
I say whomever is in charge, ups the fines considerably for the poachers that they do catch. :cheers:

Then use the money to fund some projects to put back into the community. :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I'd have to say that I agree with MD.

To me the job of the MDC is to manage the state resources from the wildlife to public lands, to shooting ranges and on and on.

In my personal opinion they are doing a stand up job for the most part. There are things that I do not agree with just like everyone else, but as MD pointed out...they are the ones with the education and practical experience in how things NEED to be handled so I tend to defer to their decisions most of the time.

As always, I completely disagree with the antler restrictions simply because I don't think the MDC has any place in dictating harvest decisions to the hunters in MO when the motivation is something other than for the health and maintenance of the herd. I have never, and will never agree with any regulations that are pointed at any type of trophy management. I believe that those decisions should be left in the hands of the individual landowner and hunter. In my personal opinion, the harm, and the potential harm done by regulations such as antler restrictions to the average hunter far outweigh the benefit to us as hunters. I absolutely hate the fact that the MDC is telling people that they can't shoot bucks that make them happy, but instead must wait for a buck that satisfies their requirement or eat your buck tag. I will never support that idea. I really hope I'm wrong, but I really believe that if the antler restrictions work as intended by the people that support them that the biggest thing that people complain about already is going to get a LOT worse. Good luck to the average guy buying himself some hunting land if MO garners the trophy destination recognition that some states have. I imagine a conversation with some average joe hunters in those states might give some insight into just how bad it could get. If we think hunting is becoming a rich mans sport now, I don't think we've seen anything yet.

One other gripe that I have is that I think sometimes the MDC needs to do what they believe is best and ignore some public opinion. I think the landowner change was a good idea and I'm personally disappointed that the MDC crawfished on the proposal and the same goes for the tag increases.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Originally posted by letemgrow
I say whomever is in charge, ups the fines considerably for the poachers that they do catch. :cheers:

Then use the money to fund some projects to put back into the community. :2thumbsup:
Much easier said than done and it isn't going to happen the way the system is now.

Right now, the fines for violations are recommended by the prosecutor and imposed by the judge. Like it or not, wildlife violations for the most part are small fries in the minds of the majority of those people. Until there is reform in the system and the fines are set or a system is in place to calculate a fine the judges aren't going to start setting high priced fines.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,206 Posts
Just a point to ponder on the agents in Colorado and their guidance. There has been a movement for several years now by a group of people who feel the federal lands in all states should be available without having to pay non resident fees. These nonresident fees makeup the bulk of the wildlife depts dollars in several western states. This extra cordial attitude may be based on politics and not good nature. Nice is great,,but if the codes are not getting enforced as well as they should be,,it might not be the best for the resource. (.02)

:cheers::cheers:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts