simple yet effective flies

Discussion in 'Pan Fish' started by JBMan, Feb 3, 2006.

1. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    please share.

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Maybe Hayzer can show some pics of his flies too! I know he ties!

Parker

3. mikeak

mikeak Member

Well.now that trapping is almost over I'll be shifting into fishing mode. I'll open up my fly box and post up some that I've tied. Love flyfishing!
    Mike

4. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    i figured out that craft foam and spinnerbait skirts make the cheapest and most effective designs out there

5. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

If you ever stop by Parker I'll show ya rather than taking pics.

6. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I use alot of wooly boogers, and black ants...big ol bluegill love em!!! I haven't tied any in probably 5 yrs or more, I should do that one of these days!!!

7. coyotekilller

coyotekilller New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    i catch the gills on white poppers and sneaky petes:smiley:

8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    You can't beat the black gnat for big blue gills......

9. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    ahh yes, i've done something like that, however, i never seem to have any luck with traditional flies. i must have "special" panfish around my parts!

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I could spend ALL DAY on a pond full of bluegill with a #12caddis/sedge... All kinds of fun and a great fish to eat also.

11. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    what i also do mail is make a fly the one you illustrated, but behind the hackle i tie a piece of foam. cut like a long skinny triangle, then wrap the hackle and the foam to the back of the hook, then bring the wrap back toward the head just infront of the hackle. then i cut off the top of the hackle and fold the foam over and tie it off. works great when the beetles first pop out in april

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    R2... dont you have a hybrid bluegill pond? Whats say we flyfish that rascal one of these days during spring?

13. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Most times, when fly roddin for bluegills, I tie on a popper bug of some sort, and a wooly worm, or black ant about 10 inches below the popper bug....sometimes ya even catch 2 at once!!!

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    While fishing years ago, I once made the statement that bluegill, cause they arent too finicky, would probably hit a cigarette butt. A friend of mine said I was crazy.

#8 aberdeen hook through a marlboro butt netted me 5 more fish that day!

15. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I'm bettin there were some cold beers involved in that fishin trip....lol

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Nope... well, maybe a couple!:cheers:

17. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    ohhh, did i come across a good un for poppers, you take the cheap colored flip flops from wal-mart..... 4 for a dollar, and cut wedges out of the material, then you trim them up and glue them to a hook. add some hackle and a tail behind it, and you have a foam popper! it was in one of the previous magazines of FFG.

18. xxx

xxx Guest

I know it.... Top water bass too........:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

19. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I know this isn't a fly or popper but I was fishing last fall in farm pond and used a black and charturse crappie tube jig. They sure tasted good.