Silverado tuner to disable AFM? Question for the gearheads.

Discussion in 'Bow Fishing' started by HuntnSEMO, Dec 4, 2015.

1. HuntnSEMO

HuntnSEMO Micro Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Has anyone disabled the AFM on their Silverado?

Can anyone recommend a tuner to disable? I don't want to boost power or play with any turnings. Just disable the AFM.
  2. jehrbo

jehrbo Full Fledged Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Oh Fallon
    Talk to Rat, Last I heard he bought a device specifically for that, but I haven't heard since how it is going (or went :)).

3. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

Don't want to derail too far, but I'd like to inquire why you want/need to do this? I've only driven one a couple of times but other than the indicator on the dash, I couldn't notice when it kicked in and out so why worry about it? Is it a longevity/durability thing?
  4. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I have to ask, what does any of this have to do with bow fishing? :D
  5. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    AFM stands for Arrow Fishing Machine. Duhhh.
  6. Phil in MO

Phil in MO White Gold Prostaff

Nov 3, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    My truck has the AFM in the 5.3L engine. It started using oil around 50,000 miles. I was told by Chevy that it's normal for it to use oil and the AFM is the reason. That was a satisfactory call....:mad:

I guess a side note is that I now have 180,000 miles on it and it still uses the same amount of oil. Nothing else wrong with it.
  7. HuntnSEMO

HuntnSEMO Micro Member

Oct 6, 2015
    This is what I'm trying to avoid.
  8. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    go to the Chevy Silverado forum, there are a few threads on it, and it does seem to stop the oil burning
  9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    All of the below is strictly hypothetical.
    Yes, I have the mod that disables the AFM. Full time V8, welcome to your new truck. :D

It does drain the battery after a couple of weeks or so of not driving it. Thats the main complaint I have heard and encountered (once).
    I did get the dreaded stabilitrac warning light one time but thats the only glitch I have had as far as warning lights.
    I would rather it stay in V8 mode all the time instead of cylinders starting and stopping, which is what I heard causes engine wear and oil usage.
    I think I get about the same gas mileage as well, if not a tad lower.
    The module I have plugs into your diagnostic port. Some have reported that the monthly diagnostics dont come through Onstar with the mod plugged in but mine seem to work fine.
  10. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    My 09 silverado 5.3 with AFM has 192,000 miles on it now.
    It also has new pistons and rings from excessive oil consumption and some sort of modification to prevent so much oil being injected into the cylinders when they are not firing (something like that) which was why it burned so much oil)

No problems since. 1/2 qt maybe over 3,000 miles now.
  11. jehrbo

jehrbo Full Fledged Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Oh Fallon
    157k miles,
    burns a quart every 5k miles ish.... the oil use sensor puts me at around 8k on oil changes, so basically throw a quart in between oil changes.
    I added a quart of the old waste oil this time as my oil change is near...
    Started this at 42k, hasn't gotten better or worse since.

Judah, I read about that modification. if it's the same as what I read, they add a few baffles to the valve covers to keep oil from splashing around certain areas.
  12. Phil in MO

Nov 3, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    jehrbo, sounds like you exactly described my truck. Pretty common issue it seems.
  13. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

I'd like to know how whether or not the cylinder fires affects the oil flow. Either it leaks past the rings and or valve seals or it doesn't? I have heard in other cars where oil gets near the PCV valve and is push out through there and burned in the engine, and thus the revised valve cover would help reduce that. Again, that has no relationship to whether or not the cylinder fires.

I'm sure there is a lot going on in that engine that I don't fully understand but so far, I'm unable to make the connection to 4 cylinders not firing and excessive oil consumption, or even extra engine wear for that matter.

Someone please explain.
  14. Barnold1

Barnold1 Senior Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Sounds like somebody didn't think the crap through when it was designed/implemented; did this half-baked technology come about during the government motors era?
  15. browning2480

browning2480 .308/Crossbow Fan Club

Jul 8, 2008
    Southwest MO
    I would recommend Black Bear Performance. Look them up. The best bang for your buck when it comes to engine tuning. They can disable the AFM and with a few other modifications create you a whole new driving experience. All for around $300 or so.
  16. Phil in MO

Nov 3, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    My truck is a 2007. Pre-guberment motors
  17. HuntnSEMO

HuntnSEMO Micro Member

Oct 6, 2015
    No. It's sporadic and has been around for a long time. Cadillac used a cylinder disabling technology in the 80's. This type of AFM is nothing new.

My Silverado has 80k miles on it and doesn't use any oil in 5k change intervals. I'd like to keep it that way.

I've read several theories that the oil collects on the rings of the deactivated cylinders and eventually gums things up until they don't seal and it blows past. But there are tons of theories.

I kind of find the AFM annoying on my commute. I'd like to be able to disable it without changing to a hp tune or doing any mods.

Thanks for the replies.
  18. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    If my truck drank oil like that, it'd be someone else's truck.
  19. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

So far, my 2014 5.3 with AFM at over 48,000 miles, doesn't drink any oil!

Sure hope this post doesn't jinx me.