Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sighting in Deer Rifles I've always just did 100 yards. Got to thinking most my Deer are killed far closer.

So I'm thinking I need to sight them in for 50 Yards.

Also I know not Deer but what should I sight my .22 in for Squirrels?

Answers and thoughts??

oneshot

:D All much too loud for the Big Grin.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
On Sighting in Deer Rifles I've always just did 100 yards. Got to thinking most my Deer are killed far closer.

So I'm thinking I need to sight them in for 50 Yards.

Also I know not Deer but what should I sight my .22 in for Squirrels?

Answers and thoughts??

oneshot

:D All much too loud for the Big Grin.
Do you head shoot deer? The difference between 50 and 100yds, inside 100, won't be but 1.5-2". Won't matter unless you take a lot of headshots. I prefer the Maximum Point Blank Range method of sighting rifles, where the bullet never rises or falls more than 3" to its farthest point. Makes most calibers suitable out to almost 300yds, except low speed rounds like 30-30.

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,110 Posts
Goto Wal Mart, have them bore sight, call it good. :tup:

Seriously though.

Deer rifle for hunting my place in MO, 100 yds. My deer rifle for hunting in Montana, 200 yds.

Never had a problem killing deer inside 100 yds with a rifle dead on at 100.

· Registered
21,445 Posts
For deer hunting in Missouri I sight my deer rifle in at 50 yards to be just a tad high of bullseye and then shoot a group at 100 and it is usually right on out to 150.

I sight my .22 in at @30 yards.

· Registered
70,871 Posts
In between mushroom hunting and shed hunting I'm going to make sure my Marlin 17 hmr is good for squirrels, cats and armadillo's either today or tomorrow at my place in Morgan County.

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Goto Wal Mart, have them bore sight, call it good. :tup:

Seriously though.

Deer rifle for hunting my place in MO, 100 yds. My deer rifle for hunting in Montana, 200 yds.

Never had a problem killing deer inside 100 yds with a rifle dead on at 100.
Well the Range have 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges. There is not that much difference with Bullet drop between 50 and a 100 yards. One Rifle is a Muzzleloader.

All Rifles have Scopes with BDC and are very good at gathering Light and work just fine.

oneshot

:D And the Big Grin finds the Couch very comfortable.

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In between mushroom hunting and shed hunting I'm going to make sure my Marlin 17 hmr is good for squirrels, cats and armadillo's either today or tomorrow at my place in Morgan County.
Find any Morels yet, I found some Reds the other day?

oneshot

:D The Big Grin can't eat Fish or Mushrooms.

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only thing I got from my last shroom hunting trip was a sore back from humping up and down those Ozark hills on my place. Maybe shroom hunting from the seat of my atv is in my future?
The Guy my Mom was married to could spot Mushrooms driving, would get big Bags full.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin never been to Morgan County but oneshot use to hunt there.

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,110 Posts
Well the Range have 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges. There is not that much difference with Bullet drop between 50 and a 100 yards. One Rifle is a Muzzleloader.

All Rifles have Scopes with BDC and are very good at gathering Light and work just fine.

oneshot

:D And the Big Grin finds the Couch very comfortable.
Sight it in at 100, and go kill some deer..... Don't over think it, don't let your brilliant mind get in the way of a good time. :wave1:

· Registered
2,724 Posts
Do you head shoot deer? The difference between 50 and 100yds, inside 100, won't be but 1.5-2". Won't matter unless you take a lot of headshots. I prefer the Maximum Point Blank Range method of sighting rifles, where the bullet never rises or falls more than 3" to its farthest point. Makes most calibers suitable out to almost 300yds, except low speed rounds like 30-30.
Tell me more

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.