Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have any experience deer hunting with a Kentucky rifle in .45? I cant seem to get mine dialed in. What bullets/powder/patches work for you?
I've been using a .440 ball with .010 patches. I just got some .018 patches I'll try out this weekend.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I alway used .445 RB and I think .018 patches with 70 grains 3F. Look for some patches down the range and see if they are burned up, usually too loose if they are. I set my sites to 80 yards for deer

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I alway used .445 RB and I think .018 patches with 70 grains 3F. Look for some patches down the range and see if they are burned up, usually too loose if they are. I set my sites to 80 yards for deer
Thanks for the info. I'll try a .445 ball and see how she likes it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Triple7 might be burning up the patches. It burns hotter than real black and some subs. Try a lubed wool wad between the PRB and Triple7.

·
Full Fledged Member
4,859 Posts
Someone on here once told me to ditch the Pyrodex and 777 and buy real black powder.
that solved any and all issues with mine (50 cal )
Goex brand sold at Grafs and Sons near St Charles.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,487 Posts
I use FFF American Pioneer synthetic powder and it’s WAY better than real black powder. So much easier to clean. I’m shooting a .50 but should be fine in .45 as well.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Took three deer with a CVA 45 percussion side lock. Two with round balls and one maxi ball. All projectiles home cast. All FFF Goex real black powder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts