Shrink tubing

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear (General)' started by venatic, Nov 4, 2010.

1. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I ordered some shrink tubing for my Summit climber cables and got them put on and shrank them with a heat gun. Looks like brand new. I'm glad my dad has one, cause I've read some other other ways people have done it and I don't think they would work too well. A hair dryer usually isn't hot enough and I don't think my wife would like me using her oven.:eek:

2. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog Active Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Maryland Heights,Mo
    I do mine every couple of years. But I have a heat gun at work to do it.

3. yankee

yankee Senior Member

if your carefull with 1 of those small butane torches, they work great on heat shrink

4. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    You order that from Summit or thru Cabelas or BP?

5. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I ordered it through Cabela's and picked it up in their store.

6. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    how much did that run i jus bought some on ebay

7. Squid Hunter

Squid Hunter New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Winfield, MO
    Good to hear you're back in the game venatic. Get out there and get one down!!:eek:::cheers:

8. yankee

yankee Senior Member

order through thomas & betts or fastenal and you can order the stiffer stuff with the glue inside, i use this stuff for waterproof repairs on wires, where moisture might be present (not water), might look into this stuff, it may perform better, if you give me a day or 2 i can get a part#

9. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1879966&tid=130907&author=Squid Hunter]Good to hear you're back in the game venatic. Get out there and get one down!!:eek:::cheers:[/rquote]
    I'll teach you how to put that Summit stand together correctly for packing.

The shrink tubing runs $20 + tax. In store pickup means no shipping cost.:cheers:

10. macon county boy

May 6, 2009
    huh we got a fastenal right here in town wish i woulda known that

11. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1879974&tid=130907&author=yankee]order through thomas & betts or fastenal and you can order the stiffer stuff with the glue inside, i use this stuff for waterproof repairs on wires, where moisture might be present (not water), might look into this stuff, it may perform better, if you give me a day or 2 i can get a part#[/rquote]
    Might have to give that a try next time. Let's see how fast I wear this stuff out.

12. macon county boy

May 6, 2009
    well how do you get the old tubing off

13. Squid Hunter

Squid Hunter New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Winfield, MO
    [rquote=1879976&tid=130907&author=venatic][rquote=1879966&tid=130907&author=Squid Hunter]Good to hear you're back in the game venatic. Get out there and get one down!!:eek:::cheers:[/rquote]
    I'll teach you how to put that Summit stand together correctly for packing.

The shrink tubing runs $20 + tax. In store pickup means no shipping cost.:cheers:[/rquote]

Thanks BUDDY!! I'd sure appreciate that.:blah::blah::blah: Maybe then I can get one on the ground too, huh?:whistle:

14. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1879977&tid=130907&author=macon county boy]huh we got a fastenal right here in town wish i woulda known that[/rquote]ya have to ask the right people, if they don't have it on hand at that particular store, they will order it, warning it's pretty stiff stuff once shrunk down

15. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Okay, yes, I had to do it. Your tubing shrinks the older you get! No heat involved!

Sorry, I just had to do that!:rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::smiley:

16. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1879989&tid=130907&author=macon county boy]well how do you get the old tubing off[/rquote]
    I just used a my knife and cut a section at a time and then pulled it off.

17. macon county boy

May 6, 2009
    ok thanks it looks really thick i doubt ill fix mine this year since i cant climb cause of my knee

18. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's not that thick. A couple of passes with my knife is all it took to cut it.

19. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog Active Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Maryland Heights,Mo
    I buy it from buyheatshrink.com. Last time I ordered some it was like $20.00 for 50'

20. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1880036&tid=130907&author=Roscoe Dog]I buy it from buyheatshrink.com. Last time I ordered some it was like $20.00 for 50'[/rquote]
    :thinking: