Should we mow the turnips?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Booches, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Booches

Booches Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Columbia, Missouri
    Last fall I seeded foodplots with turnips and clover. Checked out food plots yesterday - the clover is coming up very well in patches ( I think my seed distribution was pretty poor), but the turnips are going nuts. Should I mow the turnips to benefit the clover, or should I leave the turnips? They didn't seem very interested in the turnips until sometime after season last year. I'm thinking that a good clover stand will be better than essentially volunteer turnips. What do you think?

2. rmr

rmr New Member

I would to let the clover have more sun and less competition
    I have the same thing in a little plot the clover is coming good I just didnt have time to mow it this week-end or I
    would have mowed mine. plus didnt want to buger up my turkey spot. Does it look something like this

3. Booches

Booches Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Columbia, Missouri
    Ya, except the turnips are really tall, and seem to be flowering. At first, I thought it was weeds. But I looked closer, and it had turnip-like leaves, and was growing a turnip like tuber or root underneath. I think I'll mow it.

We need more rain though.

4. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Mow 'em down...