Should I ?

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by Mrwonderful, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Mrwonderful

Mrwonderful New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    I have a chance to buy a Rremington model 7400, 30-06 for $300.

It has had 40 rounds max shot through it. They have added uncle mikes sling swivels and carry strap.

It has a Bushnell 3-12 50mm scope with adjustable objective and see through mounts.

The owner has the box it came in, the owners manual and a spare clip making a total of 2.

It is supposed to be in like new condition.

Before I start the war with management, you tell me if I should or not based on the info I have given you.

Me Again,

:sniper:

2. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    uuuuhhhh....Yes

3. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Tell 'em to keep the scope and mounts. Then it might be worth $300. ;)

4. Mrwonderful

Mrwonderful New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Yep the see throughs would have to go. I never could get those to hold zero.

Or I could just take those for the same price and sell them here.

Mother board huh? -on your lap top? -sounds like fun.

:wave:

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Bluebook on that gun is as follows:

100% - $515.00
    98% - $410.00
    95% - $325.00

6. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    sounds like a good deal to me. Last year I baught a 7400 .308 in excellent condition for $325 and thought I got a good deal on it.

7. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    Well this is direct from the "Center for Obvious Research" of course!!!:horse:

8. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    One word........Yep

9. Brake

Brake Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Livingston Co MO
    :roll2::roll2::roll2:

10. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    That is funny! Oh and I agree! Buy it! But make sure it has something in the chamber before you try and shoot with it!

11. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Well, I would say no, because I had one and I didn't like it. I bought a WInchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight in .270 and like it a lot. But this is for you, so what matters is what you like. Are you looking for a deer rifle or a semi-auto deer rifle, or just not wanting to pass up a "good deal" that fell into your lap?

12. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    My advice is "NOT"-----
    Every one that I have know that had one could not get it to shoot worth a darn. The last fella checked with his gunsmith---his advise-----:D Dump It"
    Save the 325.00 and put it down on something with a decent track record-:cheers:

13. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Amen! They aren't noted for either great accuracy or reliability. Our local Remington warranty station loves them, though, he gets a LOT of work from them. Ka-ching!!!!! I know of about a dozen in friend's hands, or family members, and only two are currently working correctly, probably because one of them is in the closet, replaced by a boltgun!:horse:

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well.. I posted the bluebook value of this rifle and notice that I did not include my advice... so, here's my 2cents...

I dont see the need for a semi-auto for deer hunting. I have a 742 which is the previous version of the 7400. Dont know if they have improved on the 742 vs. the 7400 but I can say this. The 742 I have in 30-06 cycles like a mule. I have had the ejector jam on occasion and also I had a situation where the screws that fix the scope base back out and caused me to have to re-do from scratch.

That being said, its a fair shooter, fairly accurate and a decent deer rifle and I have scored a few brown-skins w/it. I have a friend that has the same rifle in .308 as riverbottomhunter noted and no big complaints.

My feeling is, get a good bolt-action rifle if you want a reliable rifle that holds value.

Up to you, and it sounds like it is worth the money that is being asked.;)
    I would never advise someone to NOT buy a gun!lol

15. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Well, I say BUY IT! :wave:

16. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I heard the same negative advice when I bought 2 742's about 30 years ago most of it from guys who didn't know how to disamble their rifles to clean them properly or were trying to shoot a 220 gr round. My rifles are both accurate and dependable even today. I have never had a malfunction with either. They handle factory, military and handloaded ammo just fine.

There is no shame in useing a rifle that is self loading for deer hunting. That is just somebodys preference and has absolutely no bearing on your situation. These rifles are more than accurate enough for deer hunting.

If you like the heft and fit of the rifle buy it.

17. Mrwonderful

Mrwonderful New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Well I decided to buy it

Mostly because management said ok.

I have had a 7400 before and like the feel and performance of the semi-auto for road goat hunting.

I sold mine to buy a Browning BAR and then found it to heavy and bulky for my liking and sold it. I have a 270 bolt action rifle that I call my bean field gun.

I have seen others add 10 round clips to these and have feeding and jam up problems, the ones I have had worked well as long as you used standard factory ammo and the factory magazine.

The final reason is it is my brothers rifle so I know the history and condition of the weapon.

Thanks,
    :wave: