Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know from my previous post on skidder roads, I just had a logger come in on our property and cut about 150 trees. Now, I've got all these tree tops laying in the woods. I've got 40 acres to work with here 17 in fields and 23 in woods. I'm currently getting a bid for having a high-lift come in and drag the tops into the fields. My goal here is to create way more usable cover for the wildlife, as well as provide as much sunlight to the bare forest floor as possible. Already, in one place where he pushed the leaves and litter back, there are about 200 small oak trees sprouted, they are about 1 foot tall in only 6 weeks of growing. Also want to do this to block access to our property by trespassers, namely my neighbor, who considers this his property, since he and his grandkids ride 4 wheelers and horses thru there all the time. What do you all think of my plan? What I am considering is dragging the tops out into the fields, where I don't currently plant anything, it's all fescue now. I'm thinking I want to drag them into rows, and leave some room between the rows for future spraying/planting. In your opinion, will this work? I know the deer will utilize the tops where they are now, but will my plan of making instant cover work? Thanks for your replies, I appreciate the sharing of your collective wisdom.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by Cherokee
I think you have a good plan.
Just my .02
Ditto...also, ya mite try to drag a top or two into the path of the trespassers, if possible?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fireman,
That's the biggest part of this plan, block the perimeter from access. Our place sits in an inside corner, where folks like to cut through to go back around to the gravel road for a circular trip through the country side. Can't wait to see the look on my neighbor's face when he sees a mountain of tree tops blocking the path.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I would have to worry about a fire break...upset neighbors causes some fires...

I like your ideas with the tree tops...do you have an area where you could put some tops to force deer into upwind travel patterns??? Just thinking that causing them to move upwind of your stand location just might be a good thing.:eek:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thayer,
That's part of the plan as well, to use the tops as a funnel to certain areas where the advantage lies with the hunter. I can't see this guy burning our place, his daughter and grandkids live right next door. I'm just battling with that entitlement mentality that seems so prevalent amongst locals. It seems like they feel since they live there, they can go anywhere they please. The sad part is this guy owns 700 acres himself. We don't ever set foot on his place, I'd just like the same respect in return.

·
just a no body
15,858 Posts
A buddy of mine has the same problem..damned neighbors just wonder on his land ..one even crossed the property line to come talk to me whilest I was in the deer stand. stood there lit a ciggarette and commenced to talking. My buddy is a big proponent of "fuzzy borders" & I agree with him 100%..it the neigbrly thing to do ..BUT!! there's a limit to everything.

Some people just dont get it:stickfight: so goes the saying Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Good luck on your endeavor:cheers:

·
Banned
81,584 Posts
Sounds like a sound plan to me. You may want to stack em together pretty thick,,,its surprising how quick white oak tops will rot down.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice Henry, we'll get them as thick as we can. Our property borders a gravel road, and I can see some firewood cutting done on the piles as well. Gonna stack it and pack it as tight as possible, that will keep the midnight firewood boys from breaching the new obstruction. Also, we're planning on re-digging the drainage ditch quite a bit deeper as well, so no vehicular access any more from there. Even in spite of all the activity, this little place is an excellent place to hunt. We've killed 4 book bucks in the past 5 years. 2 P&Y for my brother, 1 Show me big bucks club typical for me and 1 non-typical that makes Show me book as well. Only year without a record book buck was last year, when our Imperial Clover melted in the drought. We're spraying our plot monthly this summer with Roundup and will replant aroung Labor Day. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
21,417 Posts
Originally posted by MObigbuck
I'm just battling with that entitlement mentality that seems so prevalent amongst locals. It seems like they feel since they live there, they can go anywhere they please. The sad part is this guy owns 700 acres himself. We don't ever set foot on his place, I'd just like the same respect in return.
Here is what I would do given this scenario... Next time you see him, say to him, I guess I don't have a problem with you hunting on me as long as its only you and as long as I can hunt on all of your property - since we are neighbors and all. And if other family members of yours want to hunt and ride on my property, I guess thats OK too if and I'll tell my extended family they now have the right to hunt and ride on your 700 acres also. Then see what he says.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gamegetter,
I don't think he's hunting over there, just rides through to check on what we're doing. I have no desire to hunt on his place, ours, thanks to a lot of work, is the best spot around. I'd just like for the wildlife to know there's peace and quiet on our place all year long.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I know I wouldn't waste my money dragging tree tops out. One, no "wall of treetops" is gonna keep out a tresspasser. Two, you'll do more damage to your ground and new seedlings. Three, it will reduce wildlife habitat (deer love to bed down in an old treetop) But mainly, it would cost quite a bit of money to have it done.

·
10,942 Posts
we blocked an area where the guys that ride 4-wheelers used to cut through.......all it took was a chain saw when we wern't there and the trail was open. i think its still a good idea and maybe some purple paint or a sign or two. good luck

·
PURE KILLER
38,011 Posts
Originally posted by Redonthehead
I know I wouldn't waste my money dragging tree tops out. One, no "wall of treetops" is gonna keep out a tresspasser. Two, you'll do more damage to your ground and new seedlings. Three, it will reduce wildlife habitat (deer love to bed down in an old treetop) But mainly, it would cost quite a bit of money to have it done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.