Should apprentice hunters be allowed to hunt the youth season?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by thh058, Oct 27, 2010.

1. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    Title says it all.

The youth season is set up to allow young (new) hunters a "pressure" free weekend to hunt. Apprentice hunters are still new hunters, but adults.

2. Jethro

Jethro New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Gerald, Mo
    Isn't there an age limit for the youth season?

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Really not sure about that one.
    Inexperience isn't the same as youth. I'm kinda leaning towards a no here.

4. tjmstng68

tjmstng68 New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Pacific
    :thinking: Hard to justify a "no" if the real point of the youth season is to get "new" hunters out and addicted....curious to see what everyone thinks. Is it about getting kids out, or is it about getting new hunters out?

5. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    [rquote=1865512&tid=129903&author=Jethro]Isn't there an age limit for the youth season?[/rquote]

Yes. But should it be ages 6 yrs old to whatever is is now, and also include apprentice hunters (who would still need to hunt with a licensed adult).

6. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

I'd say the "youth" season is about getting youths out there. Maybe they should open up an inexperienced season.

7. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    [rquote=1865519&tid=129903&author=tjmstng68]:thinking: Hard to justify a "no" if the real point of the youth season is to get "new" hunters out and addicted....curious to see what everyone thinks. Is it about getting kids out, or is it about getting new hunters out?[/rquote]
    I'd have to think towards young hunters, it's Youth Weekend, not New Hunter Weekend. :shrug:
    If it were New Hunter Season, a youth by rights should only be eligible one season. After that it's not "new" anymore.

8. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    [rquote=1865519&tid=129903&author=tjmstng68]:thinking: Hard to justify a "no" if the real point of the youth season is to get "new" hunters out and addicted....curious to see what everyone thinks. Is it about getting kids out, or is it about getting new hunters out?[/rquote]

Exactly. :cheers:

9. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    [rquote=1865526&tid=129903&author=Hayzer]I'd say the "youth" season is about getting youths out there. Maybe they should open up an inexperienced season.[/rquote]
    Doesn't that start in mid November already? :peepwall::goodnight:

10. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

I'll keep it short and simple

YES

11. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=1865527&tid=129903&author=Wings Fan 19][rquote=1865519&tid=129903&author=tjmstng68]:thinking: Hard to justify a "no" if the real point of the youth season is to get "new" hunters out and addicted....curious to see what everyone thinks. Is it about getting kids out, or is it about getting new hunters out?[/rquote]
    I'd have to think towards young hunters, it's Youth Weekend, not New Hunter Weekend. :shrug:
    If it were New Hunter Season, a youth by rights should only be eligible one season. After that it's not "new" anymore. [/rquote]

Both true....I know some 15 year olds that are stone cold killers...and some 30 year olds that cant fall out of a tree right. :thinking:

12. Jethro

Jethro New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Gerald, Mo
    I think youth season should be just that youth. Isn't the whole point of the apprentice program to get adults into hunting?

13. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I say no, YOUTH season should be exactly that. Youth season is 6-15 yrs of age.

I don't think it was meant to get 'new' hunters in the woods. It's meant to get the kids out.:cheers:

14. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    [rquote=1865527&tid=129903&author=Wings Fan 19]If it were New Hunter Season, a youth by rights should only be eligible one season. After that it's not "new" anymore. [/rquote]

Presumably, adults will pick up firearm safety and hunting skills fasters. That's probably why they can only get an apprentice license for 2 years (I think). Otherwise, apprentice adults should be able to hunt for 6+ years too with no pressure!

15. BILLYGOAT

BILLYGOAT New Member

heck lets make the season longer and just add an apprentice season to the dates.as an adult the season is 5 months long basicaly so if you cant find the time to get out and hunt out of all those months then you probably shouldnt be hunting anyway.

16. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    you all can guess what my answer is...........I'll give a clue, heck no, now the poachers take their buddy, wife, no one....????

17. tjmstng68

tjmstng68 New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Pacific
    now that I thought about it alittle I say.... NO. Even though I do believe the youth season is trying to encourage "new" hunters, I think it is given its own weekend because as a parent, I feel more comfortable taking a youth out when there is less hunters in the woods. by limiting to just youths this is accomplished. by increasing the number it is literally making it just another season with LOTS of hunters out. I have no problem taking another adult in the woods durng regular season, but it makes me uneasy to take a youth during regular season....JMO.

*edit - my last sentence: ", but it makes me LESS COMFORTABLE taking a youth out during regular season because of the large number of people hunting. If I have the private property, its not an issue, but many dont. And the last thing they want is for all adults and youths to be out at the same time, having a specialized youth season gives them a weekend where the number of hunters is reduced. Which makes for a more ejoyable learning experience.
    If you add to the number of hunters that can go out that weekend, it loses its allure. :cheers:

*Please quit stating what the law IS, the original post didnt ask if the apprentice hunters can, he was asking on opinions on whether the law should be changed so they can. I cant help but be so annoyed when people state the current laws on a topic like this. We can read, we know it is currently "youth season". :02:

18. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

I'm curouis as to why people are threatened by having new adults in the woods for 2 seasons when their kid can be in there for like 10. :pop:

The youth season was created so that kids didn't have to be part of the unorganized mess known as the regular season, which would scare them away forever. That's the only reason it was created.
    New adult hunters are going to have the same horrific experience and quit hunting because of it.

Both are in the same boat.

19. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    If the woods is so unsafe during regular season, why do we hunt? Why ever let your kids hunt regular season?

20. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    NO, the youth season is just that for youths 6-15 years of age.

The apprentice tag is for those adults that have not taken the HEC. Primarily to see if that is something that they are interested in doing. That is a privilege allowed to them rather than making them sit thru the 8 hour course first. My opinion they should have to take the HEC first....:whistle: