Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what you guys see/hear where you hunt.
I would say it is 2:1.

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Couldn't really put numbers to it but I know opening weekend I heard over 40 shots and only 2 deer were brought out of the woods between the 2 camps.

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
When I hear three shots back to back about 3 or 4 seconds apart I figure a crippled deer that might be found by the shooter in about 75% of the time. I have some new hunters to the west of my place that did this very thing opening morning. Don't know if they recovered the deer or not. So far I haven't found any dead ones on my place from previous wounds.

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
[rquote=1496710&tid=104471&author=blevely]Couldn't really put numbers to it but I know opening weekend I heard over 40 shots and only 2 deer were brought out of the woods between the 2 camps. [/rquote]

That is pathetic...:mad2:

That is when I wish I had the power to confiscate weapons with the legal charge of "Discharging a Weapon Without Engaging Brain First.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
[rquote=1496714&tid=104471&author=Mailman]When I hear three shots back to back about 3 or 4 seconds apart I figure a crippled deer that might be found by the shooter in about 75% of the time. I have some new hunters to the west of my place that did this very thing opening morning. Don't know if they recovered the deer or not. So far I haven't found any dead ones on my place from previous wounds. [/rquote]
I shot three times back to back last week only seconds apart.
3 dead deer

[file]82351[/file]

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Out of the 4 people hunting grandpas place there was 1 shot and 1 deer. There were very few shots around us, not sure if the others around us got anything or not.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
[rquote=1496721&tid=104471&author=deep woods goat hunter][rquote=1496714&tid=104471&author=Mailman]When I hear three shots back to back about 3 or 4 seconds apart I figure a crippled deer that might be found by the shooter in about 75% of the time. I have some new hunters to the west of my place that did this very thing opening morning. Don't know if they recovered the deer or not. So far I haven't found any dead ones on my place from previous wounds. [/rquote]
3 dead deer[/rquote]

thats impressive... :2thumbsup:

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
[rquote=1496720&tid=104471&author=Mailman][rquote=1496710&tid=104471&author=blevely]Couldn't really put numbers to it but I know opening weekend I heard over 40 shots and only 2 deer were brought out of the woods between the 2 camps. [/rquote]

That is pathetic...:mad2:

[/rquote]

I know it right,

***Guess I better clarify this was public woods and our group was not the ones firing like that***

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Up in Northern Missouri, those minonites would take those damn AKs and SKS's out and no joke you'd hear almost 100 rounds fired on opening morning because all they did was deer drives. It was crazy :whiteflag::whiteflag::whiteflag:

A more realisitc ratio statewide would probably be 3 shots for 1 deer when you average the stand hunters and drive hunters.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,980 Posts
I would have no idea of knowing.....:thinking:

I don't follow up each shot I hear, to see if they connected....:shrug:

I reckon there are a lot of misses, and a lot of hits... That ratio.... I don't have a clue.....:shrug:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Not all shooting is at deer, coyote etc.

At a farm next to mine they shoot targets every day during seaon Hundred of shots, I used to think it scared deer but after watching deer 300 yards from their range, I don't think it affects them to much as long as the shooters stay in one spot. Several deer fed in my field just accross a fence row form the field where they were shooting, the fence row is grown up so no visual of the deer to the shooting. Deer fed for hours and only occasional looked that direction. Deer just accepted it as a normal noise, kind of like farming activities or road traffic.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,924 Posts
When I hear a lot of shots, it's usually the CMMG shop doing some test firing.

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
I counted shots the first few days of rifle season. Both days opening weekend I got to 40+ shots before noon (not counting the shots a long ways off). My rough math says I heard about 500 different shot locations (not counting double, triple taps or someone dumping a clip) in 9 days I hunted.
Of the 1200 of so deer shot in Clinton CO, I'd wager the shot to harvest # has to be at least 3:1 if not worse.:shrug:

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,312 Posts
Something is wrong with my AR. Once you fire the first round it keeps goin till it's empty so 1:10

J/K I don't have an AR

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Personally 1:1 shoot/kill.

Now some others I know........:whistle:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,051 Posts
[rquote=1496721&tid=104471&author=deep woods goat hunter][rquote=1496714&tid=104471&author=Mailman]When I hear three shots back to back about 3 or 4 seconds apart I figure a crippled deer that might be found by the shooter in about 75% of the time. I have some new hunters to the west of my place that did this very thing opening morning. Don't know if they recovered the deer or not. So far I haven't found any dead ones on my place from previous wounds. [/rquote]
3 dead deer[/rquote]

When ya hear that boy shoot, go ahead & reach for the knife.:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've never taken more than one shot at a deer...I am pretty confident in what im shooting at. I've missed 3 deer,(free handed) been hunting for 8 years. And on those misses, i just never took the time to reload. I figured if i can't hit it the first time with a rifle, might as well not shoot again. I really like my buddy stand i use, with the shooting rail all the way around it it insures of me taking a good shot. I can't say if a big one came by and i knew i had missed it i wouldnt take another shot. I don't see how some people can dump a clip on a deer. Unless my deer are jsut smart, but the ones ive missed have ran away. I've never shot at a running deer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts