Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I will hunt turkeys in the spring for the first time. Do I need a sling on my turkey gun? How about one on those strap-on types that take no swivel studs? What say you?

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Prolly a good idea. You'll most likely do a good amount of walking, maybe have to chase after em, and it sure makes it nice, not having to hand carry your gun, just sling it over your shoulder. :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I don't care for slings on a shotgun. I like to be ready at all times. Just never know what is up ahead. No sense in keeping the shotgun on your shoulder while walking around.

·
Registered
32,761 Posts
I love mine! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I just started using one last season and it made a difference for sure! It was the type that just looped over the stock and barrel so you can take it on and off easy

·
Registered
31,341 Posts
had one on my last turkey gun, used it MAYBE 2 times. wont be putting one on my new gun. however i may put one on the kids turkey gun...just makes it a bit easier for them to carry....and frees up both their hands so they can carry all the decoys too:claphands:

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
[rquote=1545022&tid=107583&author=JrNation88]I just started using one last season and it made a difference for sure! It was the type that just looped over the stock and barrel so you can take it on and off easy[/rquote]

exactly what I have...or had...til my BIL confiscated it ! :shrug:

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
I rarely take mine off, if im going to sit for a while i may just so theres not a string dancin around.

Those that say they dont want one because they gotta be ready for them dont actually turkey hunt, they are qual hunting turkeys.. ie jumping them.

I run and gun.. meaning i hear a bird gobbling in the distance, i toss the gun on my shoulder and head that way... quick. get to spot, take gun off shoulder and sit.

Never have i, or will i jump shoot a turkey

:cheers:

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I didn't know this was turkey section.........well I guess it is a good idea to use for turkey hunting.

In my case while rabbit hunting No shoulder strap for my shot gun.

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
[rquote=1545046&tid=107583&author=Joeyman]I didn't know this was turkey section.........well I guess it is a good idea to use for turkey hunting.

In my case while rabbit hunting No shoulder strap for my shot gun. [/rquote]

Id imagine it wouldnt be good fer rabbit hunting, unless yer hunt is over and youve got a mile walk in the woods?

:cheers:

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
[rquote=1545038&tid=107583&author=Rebel]I rarely take mine off, if im going to sit for a while i may just so theres not a string dancin around.

Those that say they dont want one because they gotta be ready for them dont actually turkey hunt, they are qual hunting turkeys.. ie jumping them.

I run and gun.. meaning i hear a bird gobbling in the distance, i toss the gun on my shoulder and head that way... quick. get to spot, take gun off shoulder and sit.

Never have i, or will i jump shoot a turkey

:cheers:[/rquote]

exactly

If Im blind hunting I MIGHT take mine off. Run and gun I wrap up in it to help steady my aim.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I wouldn't have a turkey hunting shotgun without a sling - period. Slings are good for more than just carrying a shotgun around.

·
17,674 Posts
[rquote=1545117&tid=107583&author=MOGC]I wouldn't have a turkey hunting shotgun without a sling - period. Slings are good for more than just carrying a shotgun around.[/rquote]

Werd. Hard enough carrying decoys, blind, calls, and a dead bird 2 miles to the truck. Sling is a necessity!!!!:cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.