Shotgun problem....

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by FiremanBrad, Apr 2, 2006.

1. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Having a problem with the new Benelli 20ga...No matter what choke, load combination....it's shooting almost a full pattern to the left...We tried the bro in laws twin to this gun, with all my chokes, and it shoots dead on...I talked to the guy at our gunshop, and he said he would send it back in to Benelli...Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Bro in law is going to loan my daughter his 20, so she's ok there, but for what that gun costs, it should shoot straight....I blame it on my luck!!!

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    not sure what to say about the full pattern, maybe the forcing cone is messed up? As far as to the left, did it come with shims of any sort?

3. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    That's pretty common with all brands of shotguns, the barrel is bent somewhat. A Really good gunsmith can fix it, but since it's new, I'd send it back to Benelli and have them look at it. I don't know if you've ever messed with one much, but the barrels aren't the same grade of steel that a rifle barrel is, and are a lot softer steel. I've seen a lot of shotguns that don't shoot anywhere near point of aim, it happens. It's worse when you spend a lot of money on one, and that happens, but it happens with cheap or costly guns. My nephew had a 20 gauge H&R single barrel that shot 2 feet high at 20 yards, my cousin had a Winchester 1400 that shot 3 feet low..... I had one, too, and it was way off (1400). Never liked Winchester shotguns after that one.....

4. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    had a winchester shotgun that shot really low and left.got rid of that sucker.

5. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I shoot a winchester 1400 occassionally for birds and it's the best shooting quail gun i've ever pulled the trigger on....guess it goes to show that no two are alike!

6. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    One of the best shooting shotguns I ever had was a winchester 1300xtr. The worst shotgun I ever had was 3 different browings. All were belgium made auto-5's. One shot high, one scattered the load within 10 feet, and the other hung up and cost me a monster buck. My brother in law carried it out of the woods where I threw it. Needless to say I won't own another browning.

7. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

just goes to show 1 bad experiance goes farther than 100 positives

8. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Of course I'm also voting for getting it fixed, but if it was off just a little, and I was just going to use it for turkey hunting, I'd put a Tru-Glo type ajustable turkey sight on it and fix the problem that way.

Parker

9. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I'd give it to me. Since, obviously, it doesn't shoot worth a crap....I'll give you HALF what you paid.:hysterical:

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I thought the same thing Parker, would scope it to move point of impact...but hard to designate a 900 dolla shotgun just for turkeys!!! I'm plannin on killin some fast flyin targets with it....dove, quail, pheasant!!! I sent it back to Italy, let them send me a new one!!!!

11. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Don't you have sumptin to be doin.....lol....that was the gun I was gonna loan ya when you came up to hunt, so's you'd miss since you are on a different team!!!!!!!!!!

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    It'll screw you up trying to shoot dove with that sucka...

Send it back, sorry to say, and demand some satisfaction!

13. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Done done it, Rat!!! Sure is disheartening though...Oh well, just my luck I spose!!!

14. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    Sorry to hear that, I guess thats why they make those uneven chokes to compensate for that problem .:sniper:

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    You done good Fireman.. for that kindof investment, I wouldnt settle for less than "happy happy happy".. keep us posted will ya? :pop:

16. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Will do Rat...I'm bettin it'll be a few weeks, but I'll shoot it immediately, and let ya know...

17. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    Sad to say, but is is not uncommon to have a choke tube thread off center. Nothing to do but replace the barrel.

18. Just found out my 12 ga Nef shoots a foot low and 6inches to the right last weekend,its 2 years old,guess that mossbergs gonna get a new home soon i had my eye on ,dont know if i am sad or happy:D