Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally made it to the range today to shoot the 17HMR...waited until it was nice and hot and windy...lol. Started out at 50 yds, to get it on paper....Here's the 50 yd target after a little dialing in...I have a pi$$po' Lohman gunvise thingy for a rest...it shakes alot....I will have sandbags next time, fo sho, along with some trigger work of some kind.

And here's an 11 shot group from 100 yds....I need some sandbags, kinda ashamed to show this target off...

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Based on your 50yd target, its flatter than I thought it would be out to 100..

:eek:

Cant wait to get mine hot...

How do you like the scope fireman?

Oh... and hows that pig looking?? lol

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The scope was ok...not the clearest glass I own, but it's gonna work alright.

The hog, last time I saw him, was quartered up on ice, in coolers, headed for Kenny's fridge!!! Can't wait for dinner, i'm hungry...lol

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Lets hope kenny doesnt open that fridge too often..

Wouldnt want another bacon incident! lmao

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by rat

LOL....word has it that bacon can be dangerous!!!

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
Originally posted by fireman_3311
Originally posted by rat

LOL....word has it that bacon can be dangerous!!!
It can be dangerous.. but its slobberin good eh??

:smiley:

·
Registered
70,769 Posts
Not to bad....not to bad at all there fireman. Considering the heat and wind pretty good grouping. The left and right drifting is from the wind more than likely. With some trigger work they should tighten up some more. I sighted mine in since you shot it at the 100 yd target and it should hit a half inch high at 50 yds. Rat....these little pellets really fly. The Hornady 17 grain travels at 2550 feet per second. That is moving purty fast for a round smaller than a .22 caliber. It truely amazes me how accurate they are. Fireman on the scope not being clear. Have you adjusted it to fit your eyes. The previous owner may have worn glasses and would be a little off for your eyes. Does it have A/O? That might make a difference. Have fun.....I know I do with mine.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
The HMR is one of the VERY few cases where the actual ammo is faster than the advertising. Every batch I've chrono-ed has shot 2630fps or a little faster, in my Marlin. They are way funner than they oughta be, that's for sure. Last Sunday, I managed to squeeze out a group at 100 yards that measured .384". Can't beat that with a stick!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
with a little luck i'll be out on sun. with mine. my son is going to shoot his .223 at 100 yds and try the new .243. i'll shoot the .243 and my .17
hey gogop a u2u coming in from me.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Hey Brad, where is there a range up here? You aren't to far from me no....lol. Whick Marlin did you have, I think I missed a thread:neuspeuter:

If one was to shoot Federals Vmax rounds like I do and zero at 50, all I could shoot at the old house, you barely need an adjustment for the less than 3/10" drop at 100yds. I personally don't think it's that much.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
hey fireman i wouldn't worry about your groups none until you get a few hundred down the pipe. but remember these .17's are a real jacketed bullet not some copper washed rim fire .22 bullet. give it a good scrubb'n after each outing. my .17hmr after market barrel (green mountain) would scatter it's groups a tad after just 10-20 rnds at first but now it goes further and further before cleaning is needed. i don't have/can't find a one piec rod for it yet or i would give it a good scrubb'n with the JB bore paste. your barrel could be fouling copper a bit.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Same here, I need to check a few more places and hopefully find one a little cheaper than that.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Andy, the range is just north of I-70, just east of 65...$35 per year for the membership....you can shoot clear out to 600 yards if'n ya want!!! There is also a pistol range. Has a covered shooting house, with one shooting bench and a picnic table, so ya have to bring a bench closer to deer season, it gets busier...worth every penny fo sho!!! The gun I bought is the Marlin heavy barrel 17HMR...fun stuff!!!!

Mailman, yea, I've adjusted it all...when ya zoom in to 18, it's just not as clear...but you can almost see the bullet hit at 100!!!!!

I saw a rod in the shop up in Macon earlier this week, and shoulda bought it...lol, but had to see if I could find it cheaper!!!!

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
I'll see what I can do about scoping and bore-sighting when I get home tonight..

I gotta shoot this thing! Ya guys are firing me up about it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.