Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched a hunting show earlier on Versus outdoor channel. Didn't like it at all, maybe some of you watched it also? These guys were out west somewhere hunting Mule Deer and shot 1 from the back seat of a truck. Not really even hunting if you ask me and I thought it was bad for them to even show this. Maybe its just me but to me hunting is more about the experience of being out there with harvesting an animal the icing on the cake. What is the point to drive in a field then take a shot from the car 5 minutes after being there? Just wanted to vent. Chris

·
17,685 Posts
Originally posted by ccso640
Watched a hunting show earlier on Versus outdoor channel. Didn't like it at all, maybe some of you watched it also? These guys were out west somewhere hunting Mule Deer and shot 1 from the back seat of a truck. Not really even hunting if you ask me and I thought it was bad for them to even show this. Maybe its just me but to me hunting is more about the experience of being out there with harvesting an animal the icing on the cake. What is the point to drive in a field then take a shot from the car 5 minutes after being there? Just wanted to vent. Chris
Chris you hit the nail on the head there. That's not even a challange to me. It's starting to become about the oh mighty dollar on those tv shows

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I don't know if this is the same episode or not but I saw one like that a while back and it turned out that the hunters were all legally blind and they were using the trucks because of that. They also shot some antelope from a ranch road. That was actually a very interesting episode.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
its harder than one would think.:rof2:

were they handicapped?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I didnt see anyone that was handicapped, blind, or anything like that. To make it even better, the show was put on by "Fair Game TV". How ironic is that, Fair Game but they shoot from the back seat of a truck. Chris

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
As long as the vehicle was not running, then that would make it legal right? If it's legal then no harm no foul. I've parked the truck and sat in the back on a bucket using the top as a rest several times. There wasn't any decent places to sit and the deer are used to seeing the truck so why not put it to good use.

That's just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
42,107 Posts
Originally posted by hillbilly
Chris you hit the nail on the head there. That's not even a challange to me. It's starting to become about the oh mighty dollar on those tv shows
Bout as challenging as building a bait plot, sitting in a shooting house and "picking your your deer"

:stirpot:

·
17,685 Posts
Originally posted by Rebel
Bout as challenging as building a bait plot, sitting in a shooting house and "picking your your deer"

Or sitting in a duck blind on a wetland and calling quackers:stirpot::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::whiteflag::whiteflag:

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Originally posted by Rebel

reb that is :bs:, you have to get the window just right and if you don't turn the truck off you have to deal with the vibrations from the engine which makes sight alignment tough, then there is always the lag time while you find a good buddy to hold your beer that won't drink it while you are doing the work.:rof2:

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
Originally posted by seth_turner_04
As long as the vehicle was not running, then that would make it legal right? If it's legal then no harm no foul. I've parked the truck and sat in the back on a bucket using the top as a rest several times. There wasn't any decent places to sit and the deer are used to seeing the truck so why not put it to good use.

That's just my 2 cents though.
From the fall deer and turkey hunting info booklet:

Deer and turkeys may NOT be pursued or taken from or with a motor driven vehicle. Deer may not be taken while they are in a stream or other body of water, or from any boat with a motor attached.
Of course, that would also mean you can legally hit one with your motor driven vehicle. :confused:

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Whats the difference in sitting in a parked truck on private property away from a road? You said they were parked in a field. Sounds like it would be a little harder to do. Cause the deer would be more suspicious of a bright red truck, than they would a camo blind that blends in..\:cheers:

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Well I guess I'm a rule breaker then. I was always under the impression that you could shoot as long as you were not on the road and you were stopped and parked. What about hunting from a boat? As long as the boat isn't moving forward and the motor is off, I was always informed that you were legal as long as you had permission to shoot on to the land the animal was on. :whiteflag:

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it was the same one I saw it took place in western texas and it was two disabled veterans. I sent the show an email with the same concerns you had. They stated that the veterans had injuries that did not allow them to walk very far and that it was perfectly legal to shoot from a vehicle in the state of texas.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,104 Posts
Well I guess I'm a rule breaker then. I was always under the impression that you could shoot as long as you were not on the road and you were stopped and parked. What about hunting from a boat? As long as the boat isn't moving forward and the motor is off, I was always informed that you were legal as long as you had permission to shoot on to the land the animal was on. :whiteflag:
Boats have different rules. Unless you have the handicap exemption to hunt from a motorized vehicle, you can get a ticket for it. I heard (from a friend on this site) about a guy who got a ticket for hunting from an old clunker car that didn't even run. It had an engine in it, so it classified as a motorized vehicle.
Next time I see you just remind me and I'll show you my exemption card.

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
Deer and turkeys may NOT be pursued or taken from or with a motor driven vehicle. Deer may not be taken while they are in a stream or other body of water, or from any boat with a motor attached.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Well if you dont agree with this, I'd hate to see what you think of me. Atleast they shut the truck off before they shoot. :peepwall: :whistle: :rof2::rof2:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts