Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Deer with 1/2” holes in em usually bleed well. I really hope you find him and I’m sure you will, or he’s just fine. Either way is a win really. I can’t help but mention that this is a great example of what you pay the extra money for when you buy a scope. Not saying it was the scopes fault at all, but premium glass will give you that small edge in fading light that is often times the difference between success and failure. They also have a tendency to wash out MUCH less from sunlight in twilight hours, when deer are moving the most. The extra money isn’t because it’s 2% clearer on a sunny day at noon. Again, good luck and be sure and post up some pics!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Sky Hunting Smile Working animal Vehicle
Plant Sky Purple Azure Textile
Found him. Only went 80 yards, no blood trail though.

Shot was really pretty good, pretty much dead center, but a touch back. He was slightly quartering to, hit both lungs.

The lack of blood was odd. I was only 15ft up and he was on an incline, so pretty close to level. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Had a little ground shrinkage. Ain't no 150 but I'm not complaining.

That picture is a still of a video from Dec 8th. I've got a few more of him hanging around. He was with a group of 7 does and fawns.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Congrats. Thats a good buck. :tup:

·
Registered
794 Posts
:cheers:

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
137ish

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Did you get an exit?

·
Under appreciated
89,843 Posts
If he had better mass he’d be in the 40’s but a dandy buck at any rate. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
A low power fixed scope gains nothing with a big objective because , basically, there is less crap inside to filter the light.
Low power fixed are typically a compact scope but a 40mm OBJ is certainly useful on a 2x variable. Just compare the FOV. Ive got a 2-7x40 with 60ft FOV on 2x. Ive seen 2Xs with a 50mm exceeding 70ft FOV. Most 2Xs with a 32mm OBJ are lucky to break 45ft.

Now i always look for a 2-10x40 or 42 for my rifles. My Razor HD LH sure looks killer to me in low light. I would put up against any 2x fixed power ive ever seen in terms of optical quality and light gathering.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts