Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
I would love to let you compare side by side with your 9x. It is so much nicer than any other fixed 4x scope I have used. It gathers plenty of light.
I can promise you there's no comparison between a Leupold FX1 28mm and a Leupold VX3 40mm. Light gathering ability is kind of a direct function of objective lens diameter. I'm sure it's also a great scope for what it's made for, but as a deer hunting scope on a ML, I think it would leave a little to be desired. I'm all for small fixed power scopes for certain applications, but even then, a bigger objective lens is almost a must. The ultralight scopes just aren't made for big recoil, like you get from a 50cal ML.

Reactions: thwackaddict

·
Registered
794 Posts
The fxii 2x20 ultralight is probably one of the most popular scopes out there for big recoil guns used on big animals. Big objectives are a lot of marketing until you starting using big magnification. For a muzzle loader and 200 yards you don’t need 9x magnification and most certainly not a 40mm objective.

Maybe if you are on a Sitka budget, sure. Don’t shoot down my suggestion because it doesn’t cost 3x the price of the muzzle loader it’s going on.

You really need a vxiii with 9x magnification to shoot a deer at 90 yards in low light? You need to get your eyes checked. I have killed smaller animals at that distance at night with a lot less than that.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I gotta tell you I really don’t care about your experience shooting big game animals or the amount of high dollar equipment you’ve used. I have played with plenty of mark iv’s and other high end equipment. You would not believe how or when and I’m not gonna go there but if you wanna pm me we can talk. I have seen them all fail in a year or two.

Any fixed magnification Leupold 6x and under would be damn near perfect on a muzzle loader used to 200 on a whitetail. There is better stuff sure but if you really feel handicapped with it? I don’t know what to tell you.

You must be used to only the very best equipment

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
The fxii 2x20 ultralight is probably one of the most popular scopes out there for big recoil guns used on big animals. Big objectives are a lot of marketing until you starting using big magnification. For a muzzle loader and 200 yards you don't need 9x magnification and most certainly not a 40mm objective.

Maybe if you are on a Sitka budget, sure. Don't shoot down my suggestion because it doesn't cost 3x the price of the muzzle loader it's going on.

You really need a vxiii with 9x magnification to shoot a deer at 90 yards in low light? You need to get your eyes checked. I have killed smaller animals at that distance at night with a lot less than that.
Long eye relief scopes are good for heavy kicking guns. And Leupold are great scopes. I wouldn't personally trust a scope that light to stand up to repeated heavy recoil, but I've seen it done. But again, there's just no comparing the light gathering capabilities of a 20mm vs a 40mm. It's not marketing. I can literally see better thru my scope than naked eye.

·
Registered
794 Posts
No scope made gathers light better than the naked eye and that’s a fact. They all filter light that your naked eye can use.

The biggest objective you can find on a low power fixed scope is probably 40mm and it’s not gathering light any better than a 30 mm objective on a low power fixed scope. But because you buy the hype of the bigger objective they have to put it on the fx3 to sell it.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
I gotta tell you I really don't care about your experience shooting big game animals or the amount of high dollar equipment you've used. I have played with plenty of mark iv's and other high end equipment. You would not believe how or when and I'm not gonna go there but if you wanna pm me we can talk. I have seen them all fail in a year or two.

Any fixed magnification Leupold 6x and under would be damn near perfect on a muzzle loader used to 200 on a whitetail. There is better stuff sure but if you really feel handicapped with it? I don't know what to tell you.

You must be used to only the very best equipment
Not sure where you're going with that. I'm a Leupold guy all the way. You're also arguing the benefits of a Leupold. I'm just saying that the absolute smallest scope they make that they list as a rimfire scope isn't the best choice for a deer rifle. I've killed deer with everything from a rusty Ole Hickory paring knife, to a $5K rifle, to a rock. I'm not alone in this. Ask 1000 guys who deer hunt what size scope they use, and exactly 0 of them will say 2x20

·
Registered
794 Posts
That’s ok, keep spending your money. I am not gonna sit there and let you talk someone into throwing money away for the best money can buy to go on a muzzle loader that doesn’t need it.

edit- I agree. It’s not the best choice. I am arguing, it’s a damn good one and saves a boatload of money.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
No scope made gathers light better than the naked eye and that's a fact. They all filter light that your naked eye can use.

The biggest objective you can find on a low power fixed scope is probably 40mm and it's not gathering light any better than a 30 mm objective on a low power fixed scope. But because you buy the hype of the bigger objective they have to put it on the fx3 to sell it.
That's just plainly not accurate. There's no way you've spent much time messing around with a high end scope if you don't know what I mean. A large objective lens gathers more light than a smaller objective lens. A good scope will extend the amount of time you can safely and confidently recognize your target in low light conditions. These aren't maybes or opinions.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
That's ok, keep spending your money. I am not gonna sit there and let you talk someone into throwing money away for the best money can buy to go on a muzzle loader that doesn't need it.

edit- I agree. It's not the best choice. I am arguing, it's a damn good one and saves a boatload of money.
I posted links to $150 used scopes. It's not like I'm telling the guy he needs a Swarovski 5-25x56

·
Registered
794 Posts
They are maybes and opinions because YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT MESS WITH LOW POWER OPTICS.

I wouldn’t even mess with 40mm obj except on 6x magnification and up, and only because it’s the only option on a fxiii 6x scope.

until you start pushing 10x magnification, those big objectives are just a bunch of marketing

·
Registered
794 Posts
I swear to GOD. I TOTALLY get it now. All bow and pay homage to the CamoNinja, Deadpool of The MW forum. I quit!!

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
They are maybes and opinions because YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT MESS WITH LOW POWER OPTICS.

I wouldn't even mess with 40mm obj except on 6x magnification and up, and only because it's the only option on a fxiii 6x scope.

until you start pushing 10x magnification, those big objectives are just a bunch of marketing
Those are statements of fact. I mess with low power optics all the time. Most of the time in fact. See, I keep my variable power scopes on their lowest settings for fast target acquisition, so most of the time I have a gun in my hand, it has a low power scope on it. But when I need to dial in for an 80yd headshot thru the brush, or to look over a deers head and make sure it isn't a button buck, I can dial it right up. Or when a good buck steps out at 200yds across a field, and I need to slip a bullet in his armpit. Sure, I could hit a deer with a 4 power, but I believe in precise bullet placement to ensure quick and efficient kills. And you just can't be that precise with a 4X scope under field conditions.

Reactions: rat

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
I swear to GOD. I TOTALLY get it now. All bow and pay homage to the CamoNinja, Deadpool of The MW forum. I quit!!
Settle
Down,
Squirrelly!!
Don't you hunt squirrels with a shotgun? Post me up a pic of a limit of squirrels with their eyes shot out, then we'll talk scopes!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
It’s a variable scope with a lot more glass inside. No matter the mag setting, a variable like that needs a bigger objective to gather light.

A low power fixed scope gains nothing with a big objective because , basically, there is less crap inside to filter the light.

Reactions: CamoNinja

·
Banned
66,383 Posts
I had this exact same thing happen once. I got so mad I basically threw the gun on the bench. When I did the scope basically fell off because the screws had come loose.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
I had this exact same thing happen once. I got so mad I basically threw the gun on the bench. When I did the scope basically fell off because the screws had come loose.
I had the same thing happen. Except it was on a pack in elk hunt. After missing a good bull....twice. Come to find out the packer had put the scabbard on wrong and my bases had been worked loose on the pack in.

·
2,615 Posts
my buddy's bride bought him a T/C Omega. i sighted in for him - it was and is a tack-driver...unreal shooter. so i bought an omega. only difference...mine was blued, not stainless. my omega was so bad....i never got it dialed in with any load...sold it. i use my tried and true CVA Staghorn.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I would check it for something working loose first. If it had the factory mount job especially.

Reactions: Bryan Heimann
21 - 40 of 76 Posts