Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my stuff altogether and went to the range today with my new CVA Wolf.

Started at 30 yards, then 50, then 100. After about 15 shots I was getting it dialed in just wonderfully at 100, I fired what should have been the final two shots, walked up to the target and they weren't even on it.

Pondered for a few minutes. Cleaned it squeaky clean. Fired two more. One miss and one graze about 15" left, still pretty close elevation wise.

Shooting two Pyrodex pellets and some old Powerbelts I had laying around initially, then switched to the Smackdown sabots I plan on hunting with.

I am leaning towards the scope. It is a very cheap Barska that I had sitting on the shelf. I never had any trouble with it on my 270, but it takes a little more of a beating on the CVA.

I cleaned every 2-4 shots. I didn't really see a big difference in accuracy dirty vs clean.

Any other ideas on what would cause accuracy to change that much so suddenly?

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Obviously the sabots aren’t gonna shoot anything like the powerbelts. But they should still group just fine. We’re all of these new components? Yes, the scope needs replacing immediately with a Vortex Crossfire, even if that’s not the problem. But that’s where I would start.

Reactions: Bryan Heimann

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously the sabots aren't gonna shoot anything like the powerbelts. But they should still group just fine. We're all of these new components? Yes, the scope needs replacing immediately with a Vortex Crossfire, even if that's not the problem. But that's where I would start.
Yeah, everything was new, except the powerbelts.

I did the rough sighting in with Powerbelts, since I didn't care about wasting them. First shot with the Sabots was about 6" higher, but the big shift happened after I had been shooting the sabots for a while.

The one thing I did overlook was cleaning the channel of the breech plug between the primer and the flash hole. I figured that would cause hang fires or duds, and wouldn't change accuracy much. Every time I cleaned I would make sure I could see daylight through the hole, didn't want to waste primers since they're a hot commodity right now.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Yeah, everything was new, except the powerbelts.

I did the rough sighting in with Powerbelts, since I didn't care about wasting them. First shot with the Sabots was about 6" higher, but the big shift happened after I had been shooting the sabots for a while.

The one thing I did overlook was cleaning the channel of the breech plug between the primer and the flash hole. I figured that would cause hang fires or duds, and wouldn't change accuracy much. Every time I cleaned I would make sure I could see daylight through the hole, didn't want to waste primers since they're a hot commodity right now.
Yup, prolly gonna be scope. Obviously check the mounts and screws and stuff first. But only a matter of time with that scope. Best budget options are probably a Burris Fulfield, Redfield revolution, Leupold VX-2, or Vortex Crossfire. Leupold gets my vote every time, but you pay for what you get. They make a ML scope called the super slam I've had great luck with.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree, check screws in base/rings. It is that, or the scope itself. I have rattled a few of those cheap Barska scopes apart inside on a pellet gun.

To be fair my springers rattle them all apart inside eventually but the barska is a “for now” deal for any application, imo

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have a CVA Wolf.
I have had no issues for years with Powerbelt bullets or Pyrodex pellets.
I installed a Redhead (Bass Pro brand) 3-9 x40 Muzzleloader/Shotgun scope on it when I got it and have never had an issue. The Powerbelts and Pyrodex Pellets have preformed flawlessly. It is all that has ever been used and have taken a deer every year for 10 years. All one shot kills.

Most probably your problem is the scope and or mounts, like stated earlier.
I don't believe it is the bullets or powder.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is a shotgun scope preferable over a rifle scope?

Looks like Academy has a Burris Droptine that isn't too expensive. Will check by the local gun shop first and see what they have.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Is a shotgun scope preferable over a rifle scope?

Looks like Academy has a Burris Droptine that isn't too expensive. Will check by the local gun shop first and see what they have.
For a muzzleloader or a shotgun, yes. IMHO
But I'm sure there are those on this site that will disagree with my opinion!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree. Shotgun scope would be great. You want a scope with parallax fixed at close range like 50 or 60 yards.

A quality fixed parallax scope built for rim fire, shotgun, or muzzle loader will be perfect. For under $200 you can get a clear, durable scope built to last that will hold zero.

Leupold FXI 4x28 rimfire scope would be perfect. About $200, ultra light weight, durable as any other gold ring scope, and actually quite long eye relief. Parallax fixed at 60 yards. Perfect for a gun shot at a max of 150 yards. No clicks though but I love these scopes.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
I agree. Shotgun scope would be great. You want a scope with parallax fixed at close range like 50 or 60 yards.

A quality fixed parallax scope built for rim fire, shotgun, or muzzle loader will be perfect. For under $200 you can get a clear, durable scope built to last that will hold zero.

Leupold FXI 4x28 rimfire scope would be perfect. About $200, ultra light weight, durable as any other gold ring scope, and actually quite long eye relief. Parallax fixed at 60 yards. Perfect for a gun shot at a max of 150 yards. No clicks though but I love these scopes.
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not go recommending 22 scopes for a ML!! I've got a dedicated shotgun scope on my "woods" rifle, and I hate it. Get at least a 3-9x40 for anything you're gonna shoot deer with. 2-7x33 would work but only in a high quality scope. There's no need for a shotgun or ML specific scope, they usually just have a little tougher guts. You're gonna be looking in the $200 range, most likely a little more than a little less, unless you find a good deal or a used scope. You should check EBay for a used Leupold. Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee. VX2 or 3. Not Vari-X.

·
Registered
12,671 Posts
Who knew finding a muzzleloader scope was so hard. We've always shot fairly cheap 3x9x40s and have never had an issue. Loose screws on bases/mounts and dirty barrels are the only thing we've ever had cause us an issue with accuracy on inlines.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don’t know about other makes/models but a Leupold 4x28 rimfire scope will hold up for sure. The one on my daughters .22 has been passed around on a few guns.

Other than the reasons I already stated, another thing I love about the Leupold fxi 4x28 rimfire is the width of the duplex reticle. The “thin opening” (width of the fine crosshairs between the thick parts) is 16.5 moa. That means the distance between the center of the crosshairs and the edge of the duplex portion is 8.5 MOA. Or about 4” high at 50 yards.

That means you can zero at 50 yards for the highest impacting round of a 5 shot group to be at or near the upper bottom edge of the duplex reticle with a 170 grain 30/30, or anything else slower than that, aim center mass and hit a paper plate out to as far as you’re gonna try to kill a deer with that gun.

That sounds kind of complicated but it actually simplifies things a lot.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Not to mention the fxi 4x28 rimfire is probably the most reviewed scope on the inter webs. It is good for just about any application inside of 200 yards and weighs like 7 or 8 ounces. It is the best kept secret in optics imo

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Not to mention the fxi 4x28 rimfire is probably the most reviewed scope on the inter webs. It is good for just about any application inside of 200 yards and weighs like 7 or 8 ounces. It is the best kept secret in optics imo
Squirrels get up late....
Monster bucks move in the wee hours. That 28mm objective ain't gonna be doing you any favors in that department. 4X works fine inside 50yds, but modern ML will shoot 200. Last deer I shot with a ML was 80yds away and I was on 9X cause it was thick trees.

Reactions: Bryan Heimann

·
Registered
794 Posts
I would love to let you compare side by side with your 9x. It is so much nicer than any other fixed 4x scope I have used. It gathers plenty of light.

·
Registered
794 Posts
But it is only good for a max PBR shot, and has no clicks. Your $200 is paying for glass and durability, that’s it. And the Leupold name sure but you can say the same for any trusted brand of scope.

edit- you know as well as I... probably better than I... bigger objectives and higher quality glass isn’t even gonna come into play until you start looking at variable scopes and higher magnification.

That is why they can get away with smaller objectives on low power fixed scopes. And why the little Leupold 2x20 is such an awesome scope.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Anyway I am not trying to say it is the end all be all. I am sure you’re right Camo, and probably know/use better equipment than this.

But for $200 I doubt it gets better

1 - 20 of 76 Posts