Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and justed wanted to bring up something. Its long but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents and see what some of you all thought.
I'm amazed and concerned at how many button bucks have been shot this season so far. I understand that some hunt strictly for meat rather than to manage the Missouri deer herd for quality bucks but essentially this season, a major dent has been put in the young bucks that could have had potential in a few years.
I have been putting out 3-4 Trail Cams for the last 5 years on my spot in central Missouri and I have seen a huge decline in the number of deer this year. Especially bucks. I normally have 6-10 different bucks that are 2 1/2 or older show up and this year, I only had one show up on trail cam and he was a 5 year old 150 class deer. My cams are in good spots that have always had quite a few nice bucks as well as younger bucks show up. I put my cams up in late August and keep them out until gun season. This year, I didn't have one young buck show up. The doe sightings were down big time as well.
Some say the standing corn kept the deer contained thru most of the season but I seriously think the liberal seasons have put a major dent in our deer herd. I really feel that the mdc has went far beyond just managing our herd to possibly depleting it big time. We can blame the weather, standing crops etc... but the fact remains, there are alot of hunters out there that have seen way less deer this year than in previous years. Sure, there are still deer out there but I honestly think that there may need to be a change next season to tighten up the allowed harvest numbers. I know alot of us, including myself don't want to see that but I think it may be necessary to rebuild the population. Some of my buddy's that hunt in Northern Missouri have experienced the same thing.

·
Registered
18,570 Posts
I don't like shooting buttons either. 30,000-40,000 taken every year...thats a lot of non-antlered bucks, but don't ever come on here to vent about the season/harvests cause most will not agree with it. They like the seasons the way they are and do not want to change a thing :D

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Stretch your arms out fella's, it is time to start beating the horse again:rof2:

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
" manage the Missouri deer herd for quality bucks"

that is not supposed to be the MDC's mission, its to manage a general population of bucks and does

I dont personaly like shoot button bucks either, heck..i had 2 of them bed down 40 yards from my rifle stand this year..just sat there and watched them. on the same token, i wouldnt have shot them if they were yearling does either.

·
King of Callaway
42,814 Posts
[rquote=1494959&tid=104378&author=ALMOST NORMAL]Stretch your arms out fella's, it is time to start beating the horse again:rof2:[/rquote]

I'm getting my batting gloves out :claphands:

I don't always shoot buttons, but if I'm looking for meat and it's too far away to tell, it's falling

If you want to manage things however you want the only thing you can do is get a lease, buy land or like I did marry a gal with land :banana-man-yeah:

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
i'll kill one and not bat an eye. them is good eating.:cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deer management is always a tough one when there is a lot of tradition here in Missouri and we all look forward to our seasons but we got to look down the road too so we have quality hunting to look forward to. I know alot will disagree but Im not really thinking we should change seasons. I shot 4 does and a nice buck this year during bow season thinking I was helping control the population and I kinda regret it now thinking I should have let some of em walk. I haven't seen much since September.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
lmao here we go again.seriously think a little did you see allot of deer last year?apparently so since you said "this year" im not seeing the numbers.now were there really that many deer shot last year that all of a sudden there just gone?come on its one bad hunting season in how many years and everybody is saying oh no mdc has gone to far.heck last year people were saying theres nothing but does but i guess they all just went away?look it was warm..crops still in the field..great acorn production..why would the deer have to move they had everything they needed right at hand.it was warm out so more of the rutting activaty was happening at night instead of durring the day the deer are there sometimes you have to adapt.since gun season has ended i have seen more deer allready then i did the whole time before gun season.its a bad year thats all the herd really hasnt been killed off just drive down the highway and count the dead deer on the side they are still there

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
[rquote=1494962&tid=104378&author=fishshooter][rquote=1494959&tid=104378&author=ALMOST NORMAL]Stretch your arms out fella's, it is time to start beating the horse again:rof2:[/rquote]

I'm getting my batting gloves out :claphands:

I don't always shoot buttons, but if I'm looking for meat and it's too far away to tell, it's falling

If you want to manage things however you want the only thing you can do is get a lease, buy land or like I did marry a gal with land :banana-man-yeah:[/rquote]

I was always told you are suppose to marry a woman with small hands, maybe they said "land" too late now.:rof2:

·
Registered
310 Posts
[rquote=1494973&tid=104378&author=Boonersanj]Deer management is always a tough one when there is a lot of tradition here in Missouri and we all look forward to our seasons but we got to look down the road too so we have quality hunting to look forward to. I know alot will disagree but Im not really thinking we should change seasons. I shot 4 does and a nice buck this year during bow season thinking I was helping control the population and I kinda regret it now thinking I should have let some of em walk. I haven't seen much since September.[/rquote]

Define quality hunting..........sounds to me as if you had just that this year! Quality hunting to me is seeing deer not neccessarily killing anything. This season I saw deer every day I hunted which was all but one day when I attended a funeral. I saw as many as 27 in a day and as few as 11 but always saw deer. I didn't need meat and didn't see a buck I wanted so I never even fired a shot. Same holds true for archery season this year although I was out of state for most of it.

I'd say I had TOP quality hunting!:cheers:

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
If its legal, go for it.

Im not going to look down on any hunter that takes a legal deer. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I don't try to shoot bb's but I have, sometimes it's hard to tell. Last year I had 2 mature does under my bow stand & took the largest one, when I climbed down I was suprised to find it was a huge bb, the largest I've ever seen, at 20 feet I couldn't tell so I think a big portion of them are taken by accident.:shrug:He didn't taste any different than a doe:whistle:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,050 Posts
[rquote=1494995&tid=104378&author=1FastCam]If its legal, go for it.

Im not going to look down on any hunter that takes a legal deer. :cheers:[/rquote]

My thoughts exactly. Who am I to impose my standards on anyone else who's following the letter of the law?

·
Former Chicken Man
20,153 Posts
[rquote=1495007&tid=104378&author=pinwheel][rquote=1494995&tid=104378&author=1FastCam]If its legal, go for it.

Im not going to look down on any hunter that takes a legal deer. :cheers:[/rquote]

My thoughts exactly. Who am I to impose my standards on anyone else who's following the letter of the law?[/rquote]

Worth quoting again. Too many control freaks around.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
OK THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS THAT ARE GOING TO FACTER INTO THIS CONVERSATION THAT YOU ARE LEAVING OUT

1 HOW MUCH LAND ARE YOU HUNTING? THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE ON WHAT YOU SEE OUT THERE!

2 IS THIS ALL THE LAND THAT YOU OWN/LEASE? MAYBE THEY ARE TAKING OTHER ROUTES THAT YOU ARE NOT SEEING

3 DO YOU OWN/LEASE? IF YOU OWN IT THEM YOU ARE MOST LIKELY SPENDING MORE TIME YEAR ROUND THERE!

4 HAVE YOU HAD ISSUES WITH A LACK OF BUCKS BEFORE? THIS IS NOT THE FIRST YEAR THAT THEY HAVE SLAYED THE BB POPULATION! THEY EAT REALLY GOOD AND USUALLY THEY ARE PRETTY STUPID THAT FIRST YEAR OUT THERE AND MANY WALK IN FRONT OF BULLETS!

5 THE NUMBERS WERE DOWN ALL OVER THE STATE THIS YEAR! IT WAS ONE OF THOSE YEARS!!!!!

6 LIKE JEREMY SAID, MDC IS HERE TO CONTROL THE POPULATION OF THE DEER, NOT MANAGE THE GROWTH OF A SET OF ANTLERS FOR SOMEONES WALL!

7 THERE ARE PLENTY OF DEER LEFT IN MO AFTER YOUR HARVEST THIS FALL! THERE WILL BE MANY MORE HIT BY CARS THAN YOU WILL EVER HARVEST! THE FUTURE IS SAFE AT THIS POINT!

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1494951&tid=104378&author=Boonersanj]New to the forum and justed wanted to bring up something. Its long but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents and see what some of you all thought.
I'm amazed and concerned at how many button bucks have been shot this season so far. I understand that some hunt strictly for meat rather than to manage the Missouri deer herd for quality bucks but essentially this season, a major dent has been put in the young bucks that could have had potential in a few years.
I have been putting out 3-4 Trail Cams for the last 5 years on my spot in central Missouri and I have seen a huge decline in the number of deer this year. Especially bucks. I normally have 6-10 different bucks that are 2 1/2 or older show up and this year, I only had one show up on trail cam and he was a 5 year old 150 class deer. My cams are in good spots that have always had quite a few nice bucks as well as younger bucks show up. I put my cams up in late August and keep them out until gun season. This year, I didn't have one young buck show up. The doe sightings were down big time as well.
Some say the standing corn kept the deer contained thru most of the season but I seriously think the liberal seasons have put a major dent in our deer herd. I really feel that the mdc has went far beyond just managing our herd to possibly depleting it big time. We can blame the weather, standing crops etc... but the fact remains, there are alot of hunters out there that have seen way less deer this year than in previous years. Sure, there are still deer out there but I honestly think that there may need to be a change next season to tighten up the allowed harvest numbers. I know alot of us, including myself don't want to see that but I think it may be necessary to rebuild the population. Some of my buddy's that hunt in Northern Missouri have experienced the same thing. [/rquote]

welcome, you are NOT alone one your thoughts, sometimes it may seem like it though! Great place to discuss hunting! Some of my buddies that hunt north have been experiencingf similiar stuff as well...for about the last 4 years!

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
I don't shoot minis. If I have a doubt, I'll pass. Simple & works for me. :wave:
I am not condoning someone who does shoot them, but I won't.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I killed a bb this year in NW Missouri. When I saw it, it was big enough that I didn't really even think about it being a button buck. I admit I didn't look very hard for buttons but I didn't really think I needed to with it looking like a full grown deer. After I killed him and started dragging him, I realized that he WAS the biggest button buck I've ever seen.

Sure, I was a little disappointed but I ain't gonna beat myself up over it. I made a clean shot on him and watched him drop, and I was able to put some meat in the freezer this year. What more could I ask for? I was satisfied, and after all, isn't that what really matters?

·
tutoring the most interesting man in the world
2,717 Posts
I actually saw more deer on my property this year than I have the last four years.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts