Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been getting pics of several bucks lately with busted up racked, more than ever before. Two of these bucks are very mature bucks, one I believe to be a 5 year old, and I have pics of him for the previous 2 seasons. The other I believe to be at least 5 maybe older.

The one I have previous pics of is a 9 point frame with a nice sticker off the G-2 with good mass, spread, and a huge crazy eyeguard on one side, but has a G-3 broken off about an inch long on one side. I dont think its a question at all, Im sure Ill take him if given the chance.

The other is a big 8 point frame. Long tines, big frame, and very mature big bodied buck, but he has one side broken off at the eyeguard! He is a trophy in anyones book, but missing half his rack. He has been through many seasons, and has probably seen a ton of hunters tricks over the years, and that in itself makes him a trophy, taking an animal like that is an accomplishment. But half the trophy is having the rack to hang on your wall...

What would you guys do, given the opportunity? Take a gamble and pass him hoping to see him next season, even though youve never seen him before, and you know the chances of seeing him again are very slim?
Or take him knowing he is a true mature trophy, and proudly show off his one horn, and remember the hunt for what it was, and having the opportunity to take a very mature smart animal?

Im pretty sure, IF, he steps in front of me, I will take the shot, but just wondered what you other guys opinions were on it.

[file]82113[/file]

[file]82111[/file]

·
17,674 Posts
If you like him that is all that matters. Personally, I would have to see a pic to decide if I would shoot or not.:cheers:

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
if he's got 4 on that other side...i'm shootin. then again, i'd sure like another deer in the freezer before its all said and done too

·
11,357 Posts
Not to get off topic but is that the Wildview 1.3 Mp cam? I just bought one from Bass Pro last weekend. Now :smiley:

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
he had to take one heck of a hit to bust that main beam:eek:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah DForbis, thats the one. Ive got a couple of em, and for 50 bucks they seem to work just fine, Especially since every Cuddeback I have seems to have to be sent back for repairs every couple months!

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
let um walk angus
they will be there next year
and hopefuly with all there bone in place :cheers:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I've got a pic of a buck that broke a beam off just past the g2 while in velvet i think. He is a really nice deer and would be tough to pass up but i couldn't make my mind up until i see him. I got a pic of him before season and didn't think he was very big but got another pic of him a few days ago and he is much better than i thought at first. First year i've ever seen him that i know of but if i knew he was gonna stick around i would probably let him pass.
Tough decision on the deer in your post but i would say just do whatever feels right at the time.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
hard to say for sure until the moment on the half rack, but most likely he get the pass for sure, but that first one is a trophy for sure that one tine broken would not bother me in the least bit!

good luck

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
POP Em Both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woot:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I would not shoot the half-rack. I would gladly whack the other one.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I think a tine or two busted, I'd shoot, but 1/2 a rack busted...I think I'd pass.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I shot one with a rifle this past gun season that was missing 14" of antler. I knew when I shot that the left side looked shorter than the right. What I wasn't expecting was a brow tine on the right side to be broken as well. What was a 150" animal became 135" real quick. I wasn't terribly happy about things. But, it isn't like you can cull dead deer. Gross of course. But, he was nearly perfect so I have to think he would have netted fairly close to his gross score. :D

·
Registered
998 Posts
Pass on them for this year unless you need the meat. They are both obviously mature deer. Next year make sure there are plenty of high protien food sources and lots of calcium rich mineral for them to hit all year so that bone gets bigger AND stronger. Then you'll have to decide which to take, not whether or not you should!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, Yeah, I dont think its even anything for me to think about with the first one... he gets in range with a clear shot at his vitals and an arrow is getting released.. The other, Im pretty torn, and like a lot of you have said, the half rack will just have to see how I feel IF he shows himself. I have meat in the freezer, so thats not an issue. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
One of my guys shot a buck we have been after a couple weeks ago. He is a buck with lots of character and he didn't realize when he shot that he had broken off his left main beam a few inches past his G2. We have lots of pics of this deer and are planning to rebuild his antlers with antler repair kit from van ***** or somewhere. Not going to make it a permanent thing but something we can take off and on depending on the mood.

·
Grand PooBah
1,664 Posts
Pass them. Whats the use in killing them with half racks? Kill does for the meat and keep the others for another year. :02:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts