Shooting advice needed

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by henry, Jan 29, 2018.

1. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I recently had to get glasses. My biggest concern was how it would affect my shooting my bow and guns.

Guns we're fine. At least scoped ones. I still need to pick up a wing shootin tool.

My bow on the other hand is going to require my developing a different anchor point . I always anchored and put the end of my nose to the string. Can't do that with specs. It puts part of the frames in my line of sight.

I played around with it yesterday. Got a start that won't leave me making changes to the equipment. Anybody have words of advice from having gone through this ? I'm considering a kisser button while I get accustomed to a different form.

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Lasik or a crossbow. :wave1:

Chairman and trailblazer75 like this.

3. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

wearing bifocals? shorten or lengthen your pull length or maybe get smaller glass's frames for shootn. I have to wear bi focals but have a single lens for shootn and I got a small lens set for that purpose

4. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Or contacts.

trailblazer75 and Hawk like this.
  5. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

How bad you see?

Some bow sights have the ability to add magnification lenses to them.

6. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Was thinking a kisser button as well Todd. See if you can get some sample contact lenses from your eye Dr to "try out" and throw in your pack till bow season! Lol

Bootheel Boy likes this.
  7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Are you still shooting a verifier peep?

8. Gerald Garrou

Gerald Garrou Member

Dec 4, 2017
    You could buy the hind sight. It eliminates the need for a peep sight.

9. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    I have always worn glasses, a couple things
    1. kisser button is your best friend
    2. turn your head more square to the target so you are not looking out the corner of your eye. May have to make an draw length adjustment 1/4 inch or so.
    3. and this happened to me when I got my last pair of glasses, get glasses with less width of the nose piece, which will bring the frame you are splitting out of the picture.

I broke my pair of glasses, went to lense crafters and found some I liked, the next day went to Town Hall to have peep installed on my new bow. While shooting the bow under lights I was seeing double and not in focus. I did not say anything at the time. Finally figured out at the bow range that I bought glasses that were 2mm wider nose piece which put the edge of the lense right in my line of sight when shooting the bow. I adjusted my head position and draw length and everything was right with the world...
    I ran over that pair of glasses a few years later and now have the right size

oh and get the best no glare lenses you can find,

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  10. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Contacts or lasik. Glasses suck ass to hunt in. Constantly fogging, no peripheral vision.

170BC, Barnold1 and WBF like this.
  11. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok thinking about it I never shot a vertical Bow with Glasses. But with Recurve my Anchor Point was the corner of my mouth so I'm thinking Kisser Button and less Draw Length.

Crazy when I went down in Draw Weight and Length it made it where I no longer needed Arm Guard other than Sleeves getting in the way and my Shooting was much better.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin uses Crossbow.

12. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I shortened my draw and changed my anchor. You’ll get used to it. I didn’t add a kisser button but it would have helped speed up the learning curve.

Another issue that you’ll have even with the new anchor is your glasses will slide down your nose and the frame will block your peep. You’ll get used to pushing them up before you draw. I’ve gotten to full draw and had them slip then while at full draw and used my wrist to shove them back into place. Killed a doe this year exactly like that. A strap on your earpieces will fix that but it’s uncomfortable as hell.

WBF and Dafish like this.
  13. henry

I didn't get bifocals. I've watched friends struggle with those hunting do I got straight lenses.

I do have a verifier peep. Once I get a form established, I may take the lens out to see if I still need it.

Contacts are out for me. I don't have the urge to use them and being on the road so much caring for them would be an even bigger pain than most people deal with.

I am trying to learn to square up with the bow string. I'm using the side of my nose on the string instead of the end of my nose. I've shot the other way do long it feels very awkward.

14. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Kisser and peep sight and a thumb release worked for me when I wore glasses. (Back of hand on my cheek)

Been awhile since I shot my compound so the above is just from memory so I may be entirely wrong with my memory. Maybe I need to get out the compound and shoot it to make sure?

15. DonJuan

DonJuan Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2012
    S.E. Mo.
    I’m legally blind but can see well with my glasses. I’ve had glasses and contacts all my life, the only problem I have sometime is glasses fogging up. My eye dr gives me an anti fog substance that works great. If you shoot both eyes open you will probably not even notice it but if you close one eye it may take some adjustments.

16. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    There is no care involved in contacts other than putting them in saline solution when you take then out and a 10 second cleaning before putting them in.
    I don't wear mine hunting yet, but I'll get Lasik in a few more years and call it good.

17. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    I dont even clean mine. I have 2 week lenses that you leave in overnight. Pop em in, take em out a few weeks later, throw em away and put new in. I couldnt go back to glasses for hunting... such a pain.

18. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Todd.....might as well face it....you are now considered OLD and you need to just go ahead and give me your bows and guns and I'll make good use of them. :D I'll give you some summer sausage now and then. :wave1:

19. henry

I bow isn't old enough for you. I will keep after it so I will be ready for a Kansas turkey hunt with it in 2 1/2 months.

20. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I'd be getting the Lasix sooner than later. Not too far down the path you will notice that you need someone from across the table to hold up the magazine article your attempting to read! And wham now you have to invest in a pair of "cheaters" to read anything and everything your holding in your hands.

Mark Allen and DCSarchette like this.