Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use a little help here. I think its legal to ship a long gun(shotgun) through the USPS directly to the individual with out going through an ffl. as long as its within the state of Mo.As in not across state lines. Just not sure.Appreciate any help
Thanks Mike

·
I love work. I can watch it all day.
1,811 Posts
I do believe it is FFL to FFL regardless of where to where if you ship it. They'll charge you on both ends( $30 is usual) unless you go thru individual FFL owners. Might be cheaper to drive and meet in the middle.:pop:

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
[rquote=1508816&tid=105226&author=fish]I do believe it is FFL to FFL regardless of where to where if you ship it. They'll charge you on both ends( $30 is usual) unless you go thru individual FFL owners. Might be cheaper to drive and meet in the middle.:pop:[/rquote]

NO!

you can as far as federal laws go ship from a private individual to another private individual within your own state. HOWEVER, Missouri laws state that a private sale must be performed face to face. so you would need to ship it to a ffl for transer. you do not need to ship ffl to ffl for anything even handgun. but some fl's will not accept from private party's and in those cases you will need to have a ffl ship for you.

[Edited on 12/13/2009 by JimH]

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
mike your correct

you as a non lisense ffl can ship a LONG GUN to another non ffl holder IN STATE

if you were shipping outta state you would only be able to ship a long gun to a ffl holder

different rules apply for a hand gun.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
[rquote=1508831&tid=105226&author=huntforfunnfood]
different rules apply for a hand gun. [/rquote]
you can not use the usps for a handgun but you still can ship a handgun private party to an ffl as long as the ffl will accept from a private individual AND you must use a private carrier.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think this is what I was looking for. I believe its legal.Thanks for the help guys.
Mike

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
yes, BUT you also must look into the individual STATE LAWS. Missouri says that private sales must be face to face, so if you are selling this long gun then technicaly it would need to go to a ffl for transer. but as far as federal laws go you would be fine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well once again I think you need your lawyer to sort out the rules, laws. I have one on retainer for fishing, hunting, buying guns, fence lines. etc. Each has their own expertise. Its quite the deal these days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts