Shed dogs

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by HawgHead, Oct 29, 2010.

1. HawgHead

HawgHead New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Madrid County, MO
    Anyone know where a guy can buy one? I know a guy that would like to get a started or finished one.

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Sigler's in Smithville is THE 'professional' place to get one. He will pay a pretty penny for it though.

http://www.antlerdogs.com/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

He's got some videos too. I don't know if they are worth it or not. :shrug:

Wish he would have wanted one this past summer, and I would have started one for him. :whiteflag: We had to put our pup down this fall, and will be starting over with a new one in January. :whiteflag:

Here's a picture of our best day last winter. :whiteflag:

Parker

[file]144068[/file]

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Shedhead or hayzer might be able to help you out too.

4. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    Wow, pretty penny huh? Looks more like a pretty 2nd mortgage on the house! Yikes, you weren't kidding. But the training video is only 30 bucks. I'd start there if I were you.

5. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I'd start by reading everything there is to read on here by doing a search for shed hunting, and then shed dog.

I don't think the video is worth 30 bones for what you can find here, but that's just me.

Parker

6. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Here's a place here on MWT to start for info.

Parker

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=116064#pid1671535

Here's my writeup from that thread:

I got this idea from a waterfowl video saying to hide food in heavy cover to get a dog to learn to search by sight AND scent.

Sit on the floor with your legs spread wide, and pick the food out of the pup's bowl in 3 or 4 chunks at a time. You've got multiple stations. Right hip, left hip, right inside knee, right outside knee, left inside knee, left ouside knee, right outside ankle, right inside ankle, left outside ankle, left inside ankle. That looks like 10 stations. Only load 2 or maybe 3 stations with food at a time. Make the pup hop over your legs from station to station getting to each spot to eat.

Keep the actual food bowl behind your head with one hand while you are plucking out the peices for each station.

All the time, saying "find it" while you are excited. (You WILL get excited, because it is FUN! ) If the pup has problems, guide it with your index finger to the next pile. It won't take long for them to catch on to to the "find it" game.

You can do this with them every evening feeding for a couple weeks. Then, the pup will catch on to the game, get smarter, and you won't be able to keep up.

When you absolutely can't keep up any longer, take the food bowl outside and hide it somehow in the yard (I had snow on the ground, so I always hid it flat in a drift). Then, come get your pup, and go for a walk. When you get close, downwind of the food bowl, get excited with the 'find it' again, and swirl your finger around to get the pup to start searching out the food. Obviously don't point them right to it right away. Always have them succeed though, no matter how much you have to help them.

Do this for a few days, and then start hiding the food in smaller portions around the yard. Maybe 10 chunks at a time. The pup will eat one station, and be ready to move on to the next.

All this time, have your pup's chew toy be an antler or three.

Hide the antler in the house, and get the pup to "search it up" and "find that bone". When the pup is good at the food "find it" game outside, move your antler finding to outside.

The pup will be good at the food progression of the game way before the antler progression, but the antler part will follow pretty quickly.

I know SHEDHEAD likes giving his dog treats for a shed find. I am back and forth on this. I usually gave my dog a treat after one out of every 5 bone finds or so. I don't want her to think she is going to get a treat EVERY time she goes and gets something for me, because she isn't going to get one every time we are waterfowl hunting.

And let me hit on that again. I had a friend tell me about this back in the late 90's. The first time I ever saw a real-life shed dog in action. The dog is not supposed to find ANTLERS. The dog is supposed to find every bit of deer anything and every bone it can come across. It is your job to be just as excited about the pup finding a rib bone or a possum skull as when they find their first 5 point side for you.

That's my .02. I've done a lot of reading about this stuff prior to ever having a dog, but this is the first dog I've had, and I've had her for 6 months now. She gets trained at least 10 minutes two times a day EVERY day. I think training her consistently, and being VERY lucky with picking out a really good pup has done wonders for us having a great time.

I hope this is the kind of information you are looking for. I don't want you to think I REALLY know what I'm doing, because I don't. I'm just telling you what I tried, and it has worked.

My pup, Belle, came out of the same litter as SHEDZILLA's Maggie above. They are riverbottomhunter's dog's pups.

This photo is of our best single day this last spring. She was 3 1/2 months old at that time. We found 31 total, and 15 of them were on this one day. I think the most I found in a year before this past spring was either 4 or 5.

Parker

(count on the year ended at 34)

7. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    Good lookin dog. I have a lab that's just about to turn 1. Santa brought him last year.

8. HawgHead

HawgHead New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Madrid County, MO
    I found a guy on the web for 1500. Clled my buddy, he's sitting in the deer woods, and told him how much...that changed his mind...he's gonna try to do it himself...he's got the money, but I knew he wouldn't spend that much.

9. Buck Sniper

Buck Sniper New Member

Nov 22, 2010
  10. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :2thumbsup: Thank you Buck Sniper. I will introduce you to my new pup next summer at pinwheel's!

Parker

11. Buck Sniper

Buck Sniper New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    thank you parker i like dogs:cheers:

12. Buck Sniper

Buck Sniper New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    parker go to my 1 post wen you have a chans to post:cheers:

13. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :eek:: Come to think of it, you did play with her (the dog in the picture above) last summer at pinwheel's!

I'll look at that other post buddy.

Parker

14. Buck Sniper

Buck Sniper New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    i am sorry for bing men to you:whinging:

15. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1912366&tid=130172&author=Buck Sniper]i am sorry for bing men to you:whinging:[/rquote]

:whiteflag: Don't say that man. You apologized to me at the time.

I just wanted you to be safe.

Parker

16. Buck Sniper

Buck Sniper New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    i did play her i thack:confused:

17. Buck Sniper

Buck Sniper New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    ok i am happy now:2thumbsup:

18. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1912381&tid=130172&author=Buck Sniper]i did play her i thack:confused:[/rquote]

Yes, I know you did. She was on the side of the house in the shade. :2thumbsup:

Parker

19. Buck Sniper

Buck Sniper New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    i did play with her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Buck Sniper

Buck Sniper New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    i wut to talk to you parker:mad2: and ware are you :peepwall: