Shed Dogs and Hunt Test Events

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by wbpdeer, Jan 22, 2018.

1. wbpdeer

wbpdeer Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Portland, TN
    I always get a kick watching any dog find and retrieve a shed antler. I got my first shed dog Jan 20, 2017 and he has gone from a pup to trained dog. This will be his first wild shed season. I am waiting for the bucks to shed before I hit the woods.

I participate in NASHDA Hunt Test. There is one in Carlisle, Indiana this Saturday, Jan 27th. NASHDA stands for North American Shed Hunting Dog Association. These events run 3 classes of dogs: Junior, Senior and Master. Your class is based upon experience not on the age of the dog.

Feb 17, 2018 there will be a Hunt Test in Northern Mississippi (20 miles south of Memphis). You still have time to submit an entry for this event. On Feb 24, 2018 there will be a Hunt Test in Norman, Indiana (west of Brownstown). You still have time to submit an entry for this event as well.

At these Qualifying Hunt Test, your dog is competing against the clock not more experienced dogs. You have a marked course, with 6 antlers placed on the course, a Judge that keeps times. The dog needs to find and retrieve all 6 to hand before the 15 minute mark. Each of these events are Double Qualifiers which means your dog can run two courses.

If you are interested in training a dog to hunt sheds or have a dog you would like to run, please let me know. You can find entry forms at www.nashda.com by clicking on the event tab and finding the event. If you have questions, I will be glad to share what I know.

I am thankful for all the help I receive from the dog handlers at these events.

I believe Missouri has plenty of shed dog owners that find plenty of antlers with their dog. I just believed sharing this information here might get more people involved at these hunt test.

Thanks for reading this thread.

Wayne

Rednecknick, Yahoo and 20' like this.
  2. wbpdeer

wbpdeer Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Portland, TN
    Update for Hunt Test in Indiana Jan 27th, 2018

I traveled to southwest Indiana early Saturday morning - left at 3:40 AM. It was a rainy day but all dogs ran well and the rain only affected us adults.

This particular Hunt Test was important to Scotty and I as it gave him the opportunity to complete his NASHDA Junior Title if he passed both courses. He ran a 7:31 on the first course and 9:54 on the second course. The second course had two deep drains and this creates a challenging scent cone. He has his Junior Title completed!

Scotty was born Oct 21, 2016. I picked him up Jan 20, 2017. His first test he was old enough to run was in Rarden, Ohio on Sept 9th, 2017. I am very proud of how much progress he has made. Now we will run on Senior Courses in future NASHDA Events and that will mean one of his six planted antlers will be in water. Be some creek work and pond work in the next three weeks. We started on water placements back in mid-December.

This hunt test was about new - we had 10 ten states participating with 5 new participants. We had MS, TN, GA, KY, OH, IN, IL, MO, IA & MI. I was able to spend some time with 4 of the new participants - they were from GA, MO, IA & IL.

Thanks for reading this thread. The photo below was taken by Carter Riecks from Illinois.

Scotty Jan 27, 2018.jpg

Pastor and DougC like this.

3. wbpdeer

wbpdeer Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Portland, TN
    Two weeks from today, on Feb 17th there is a NASHDA Hunt Test in northern Mississippi (20 miles south of Memphis). It is a Double Qualifier and it will have plenty of first time participants. This is a growing sport in the south. Come watch how it is done, or if you have a dog that is ready, go to the NASHDA.com website and printout an entry form for the Mid-South Shed Dog Event on Feb 17th.

Three weeks from today, on Feb 24th there is a NASHDA Hunt Test in Norman, Indiana (10 miles west of Brownstown). It too is a Double Qualifier and it is an established event which has been held many years in a row.

If you have a trained water fowl dog it is a short training path to get them hunting wild shed antlers. Thanks for reading this thread.

Wayne

4. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    That's pretty cool stuff. Im going to be getting a pup to train next year hopefully.

wbpdeer likes this.
  5. wbpdeer

wbpdeer Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Portland, TN
    Maddux

What breed are you thinking about getting? Dallas County is north of Springfield. Sure is fun to watch a pup put it all together. Good luck to you.

6. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    It will be a lab. I had one started. He broke out while I was at work and got hit by a car. Pretty sad deal. We will be moving to the farm in March and are waiting to get a pup till then.

7. wbpdeer

wbpdeer Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Portland, TN
    Sad to hear you lost a lab to an automobile. I live in town on a go to school street so I always leash my dogs before we go outside. I have two pens in my backyard one for exercise and the other for their outdoor breaks. Both pens have 6 feet tall wire.

Get back with us when you get your new pup.