Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its kind of early to be talking about shed hunting but I was wondering if anyone has ever built a chicken wire or antler catching contraption around a corn pile or something. Last year I had tons of pics of bucks bucks on cam around corn pile and wanted to see if anyone has idea how to increase the odds of finding there sheds??

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Check in the "shed hunting" forum, there is all kinds of good info in there about shed hunting. I know there are a handful of guys on here that have had some success with shed traps.

Personally, I enjoy getting out and looking for them, but I say take 'em however you can get 'em!

:cheers:

·
2,842 Posts
Search through last years posts. Quite a few of us tried, but there was very limited success. Someone had a 5 gallon bucket trap that worked a little bit. I used hog wire, no sheds at all. Good luck, I found its better to pound the ground, and get exercise at the same time.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,945 Posts
I tried it with cattle panels set at an angle and corn on the ground beneath....no success.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have found a few sheds near my cornpile/trailcam spots, but not near what you would think from all the pics of bucks all winter. I enjoy walkin and riding to find sheds alot more then seeing them at cornpiles.

antlerart006 has had good luck with antler traps though.

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
I have been trying to train my dog to find antlers, and so far, he's doing pretty well. I can leave an antler or two in the woods behind the house, then come get him and turn him loose back there, and he'll bring them up to the back deck usually within 30 minutes or so. If I stay back there with him he'll look harder and find them even faster. Hopefully he'll be an antler-sniffing machine come February...:cheers:

·
2,842 Posts
[rquote=1486760&tid=103866&author=citybowhunter]i tried last year and all got was a lot less money in my pocket from feeding them all of that corn. [/rquote]

Make that two of us!!!!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I came up with 5 gallon bucket and it work but in long run wasn t worth the $$ for the bait i had in it I only had 5 traps on the farm only cpl work But traps didn t save me from walking I hunted from 3rd weekend of Jan till the ticks came out that was in March
Some may think waste of Money but it keeps the deer around your area if you even dont get any sheds might find the sheds near by

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
NEVER TOO EARLY FOR SHED HUNTIN TALK!

I used to set traps for them,much like Whitmore's.Never found any IN the trap but found some within a few yards from them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I envy those of you who are good shed hunters. I have looked and looked, but have never found much. The stuff I find is always attached to the skull or a whole body thanks to poachers. I tore the woods up this past spring looking for morels and antlers, and never found either. :mad2:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
[rquote=1487274&tid=103866&author=MajorWyss]I envy those of you who are good shed hunters. I have looked and looked, but have never found much. The stuff I find is always attached to the skull or a whole body thanks to poachers. I tore the woods up this past spring looking for morels and antlers, and never found either. :mad2:[/rquote]if you wait till morels to come out to look for sheds Tree rats probly has them chewed up or another shed hunter has pick it up My shed season starts in jan, morels come out im done hunting

·
Banned
11,330 Posts
I hunt with Ruttnbuck. We got probably around 30 bucks on camera last winter, but cannot find any sheds for the life of us. The property consist of about 90 percent timber. Very steep hills. The deer really don't have any particular pattern. As much as we look you think we would get lucky and find something, but nothin. I also walk just about every inch of the property during turkey season and never stumble across anything. I walk fence lines, the few field edges we have, creek bottoms, you name it.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
antlerart, can you post pictures of that bucket setup again? I'd like to give that a go this year! :cheers:

Parker

1 - 16 of 16 Posts