shed antler traps

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by dodge, Nov 7, 2010.

1. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    I was wondering if antler traps are legal in missouri? If they are it would be a good way to get sheds. You take some chicken wire and mave a V with it then screw it to a tree and put some acorn rage or something in the middle and the bucks knock their antlers off on the wire.

2. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009

3. DUTCHMAN

DUTCHMAN New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Gasconade County,MO
  4. boatcaptain

boatcaptain Active Member

May 31, 2010
    ELM TREE MO
    A buddy of mine puts 4 old tires on top of each other putr corn in the middle. The bucks reach in to eat the corn and catch an antler on the edge of the tire. If they are ready they fall off inside or just out side the tire feeder. Dont see how that could be illegal. You are not hurting any thing. He gets quite a few.

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Only illegal if you're hunting over the bait.

Your time will be better spent walking, and your money better spent on gas getting to places.

Antlerart has had some luck with 5 gallon bucket traps with slats screwed to the sides, but other than that, no one around here has had any success worth writing home about.

Coons and does will eat you out of house and home to end up with one little forky side.

Parker

6. citybowhunter

citybowhunter Senior Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    Yep you'll go broke with antler traps. The deer dropping their antlers happens over such an extended period of time that it's hard to keep putting out the corn with so little to show for the money spent. That's my experience with them. .02

7. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    well, i was asking because they are illegal in iowa and wasnt sure about missouri

8. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    they are legal in missouri to answer your question...and i have used them but have never gotten a antler off of it...i usually walk edges and find about 15 in a shed season

9. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    [rquote=1884349&tid=131235&author=dodge]well, i was asking because they are illegal in iowa and wasnt sure about missouri[/rquote]

I'm interested to hear about how they are illegal. What's the wording? Is it because you can't set out bait for deer at all, or have they got wording about the 'device' to catch them?

Parker

10. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    Ya know, I've had "friends" using the chicken wire and corn for years. It has resulted in LOTS of sheds. I would figure it wasn't baiting, since you weren't attempting to kill the deer, only get the sheds. I don't know, nor really had thought of it until now.

11. thwack13

thwack13 New Member

May 7, 2010
    Potosi
    my uncle drives four metal posts in a square shape and puts corn in the middle