She Ruined Trout

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by oneshot 1, Jan 21, 2018.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Neighbor fixed some Trout out of the river. Baked them with Butter and Lemon wrapped in Aluminum Foil. They was nasty.

I always just fillet, roll in Corn Meal, salt and Pepper and fry. They've always been good.

She says she always bakes hers.:tdown:

oneshot

:D The Big Grin likes Cats.

gravedigger likes this.
  2. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

Baked is better for ya. :tup:

3. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Okay a bit embarrassing, but how does one fillet a trout? My wife likes them grilled/baked in foil with butter as mentioned above. I don't.
    I catch lots of trout and release almost all of them, except when in WY and wife wants one for the campfire. I will occassionally smoke them, which I like. I never could figure out how to fillet a trout without a bunch of hair bones left in. Would love to figure it out and try frying the fillets. Even "Googled" it without much success.

4. PHhunter

PHhunter MOD-ER-ATOR

Jan 22, 2007
    Woods.
    Fillet like any fish. If you fry it the little bones will fry up. If you grill or smoke you'll have to pick them out.

gravedigger likes this.
  5. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Catch and release. Not cuz I care about the fish population, but the hatchery fish taste terrible.

WBF, fishshooter, DADAKOTA and 2 others like this.
  6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Taste like the pelletized corn/soy mash that they are fed their whole life.

Love to catch them and they are a beautiful fish but I seldom ever eat one.

WBF, Chew, DCSarchette and 1 other person like this.
  7. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    It is easy to cut Hair Bones run knife along top of the bones then slant the knife and run along lower side, then take finger run it along pull the bones out. One of those things easier showed then tell. Most usually I don't worry about them.

Rather catch Suckers but if Trout are biting why not. They are much better fried. Everyone crys about Stockers but where ever I lived even in the mountains they stocked Trout.

But like I say I rather catch Suckers do catch Catfish and I will keep them or Bass.

oneshot

8. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

Trout baked in foil with onions and spices

9. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I fillet mine then cut those little bones out then blacken them. Only way we eat em.

10. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Corn mash???? Hmmmm......

11. manitou1

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Thanks. Will give it a try next trip. Will be in WY in July, then Oct-Nov-ish, Lord willing.

12. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Fried they have always been flaky not like that baked. They was just nasty!

oneshot
    :D Some have called the Big Grin a flak.

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I like them in foil or grilled using a fish basket.
    Hatchery fish need help on the spices and veggies for sure.
    Native trout dont need any help at all, maybe some lemon pepper, grilled is my favorite on those.
    Lake trout in CO tasted pretty muddy but we were comparing them to stream fish, not a fair comparison but they were fun to catch also.

Pastor likes this.
  14. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I like skin on fillets, grilled in fish basket, you get direct heat and browning. Whole fish in foil just sit there and steam, you could do that in the oven.

But still have to pick out pin bones, which I hate, especially when serving to the kids.

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Agree but I find that if its cooked right, the flesh on trout just rakes off the bones. Cook it too long and the bones come along and you need to be more careful.
    Growing up, I rmember my gma frying catfish and she never fileted a fish in her life. :D
    She would just set it down in front of granpa and gave him to slices of buttered white bread... get a bone in yer throat, chew up some bread and warsh it down. :D

WBF likes this.
  16. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Well I was catching them out of the Arkansas River and small springs around there and they was stocked. And at the time they was having trouble with disease at the Hatchery.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin needs to get up there and get high.

rat likes this.
  17. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Trout is the one fish that I prefer baked than fried and I really love fried fish. Everybody always mentions the bones in trout, but I've never had an issue with them. They are very fine and soften up enough to be edible even when I bake them. I typically try to eat trout that are around 12-14" in size. That seems to the perfect size for eating imo. If they get too big, they just don't want to cook up as well.

I rub both sides of fillets with olive oil or butter and season with lemon pepper or old bay, lay half a slice of bacon on top of fillet and wrap in foil. Bake for 20 minutes at 375. After that I expose the top of the fillet and bacon, move rack up to the top and broil for a few minutes to crisp up the bacon. Lately I've been using olive oil and foregoing the bacon since I'm trying to eat cleaner, but it is still pretty good.

18. Deerducksfish

Deerducksfish Junior Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Cape Girardeau

This video helped me a ton. I've filleted more fish than I could ever count but I always got tripped on pin bones. I have a pretty big aversion to bones in fish other than buffalo ribs. I use this method on trout and have never looked back. Excellent for the smoker, grill, or blackened.

19. manitou1

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Deerducksfish: Thanks a million! Exactly what I was looking for. Now to catch some trout and give it a try.

20. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    We must be related!!!! Your Gpa love milk and toast????