shady plots

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Bowkil, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    most of my plots are in the woods so leaves cover the food plot and theres alot of shade. ive had good results in clover and chickery in these shady spots. but i was wondering if brassicas like turnips and rape would grow okay in the shade?
    ill get a pic and you can see where i want the plot of turnips and rape.

2. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    im gonna rota-till this old road up and want to plant turnips and rape in the road, but will the turnips and rape grow into maturity since theres not gonna be alot of sunlight? will it be worth it to plant? or sould i plant them in a field with sunlight? i dont know nothing about how turnips grow but if they aint gonna grow good here i rather go them in a field. whats your ideas? would it be okay to grow? or dont grow here?

[​IMG]

3. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I'm about the farthest from an expert you could get a reply from on this board...but I'm going to anyway !

It won't grow there !
    Great idea, but you've got to get some sunlight in there for it to happen.

4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I have had some luck with brassucas in limited sunlight,,but that looks like it will be very very limited when the trees leaf out. The rape seed is an affordable seed to try in a situation like that. It would make a good experiment

:cheers::cheers:

5. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Bowkill, if I didn't know better, I'd say we hunt on the same property!! I've got lots of the same stuff. This topic is very interesting to me.

6. Goldtip

Goldtip New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Santa Fe MO
    I planted some brassica's last year in shady areas. It was the first stuff out of the ground and the first thing to die. Unfortunately I couldn't make it work. Everything that could get light survived well.

7. henry

Goldtip

I just noticed your location. Southfork Mark Twain lake,,,,,are you anywhere near the ole underwatere town of Victor??? We used to have some great turkey hunting just south of Victor before they flooded the lake.

8. we planted turnups on our road and they only came in ,in the area that was wide enough for sun,but the clover mixed did alright in the shade :D

9. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Plant white dutch clover, red clover, or subterranean...they seem to do well with shady plots.

10. Goldtip

Goldtip New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Santa Fe MO
    Henry if you were hunting just south of Victor you were probably hunting right at my backdoor. I'm right at 4 miles south of the old flooded town. We do still have a lot of turkeys around here. I can walk out on my backporch every spring before I go to work in the mornings and listen to them chatter.

11. henry

I hunted between you and Victor. It was a good time while it lasted. That stretch of south fork was some excellent fishing too. It was alot of work draggin the riffles,,but the holes always produced fish.

(sorry about the high jack guys)

12. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    i went down to family bargin center in rolla and bought a bunch of rape and turnips. the clover was real expensive so i just stayed with the turnips. ill more than likely try it out. i tried to till up part of a field that has fescue, clover and brome but the grass so thick its not worth trying to till it up for a good seed bed!
    i appreciate everyones imputs. ill keep ya guys posted also if this section of my property produced any good.
    you guys see my mineral lick in the lower left hand corner? i know the deer are just fienin for a refreshed lick! big paddy creek is behind me in the pic

13. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    I have a buddy in a similar situation and he's had good luck with white clovers.
    Clovers would provide feed for the deer and turkey for a longer period of time than the brassica, too.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    use clovers. but if it were me i would go along the road with a chainsaw or pruners and cut back as many trees as possible, the more light the better.

15. its expensive but i would try imperial white clover...:cheers:

16. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    thanks guys but i already got about 1/4 acre of clover about 60 yards from that road. planted it last year and its still going strong. in matter of fact my dad reseeded it yesturday with clover and chickery.
    the only thing that sucks is i have to rake the damn leaves and haul them somewhere else! 2 truck loads of leaves to get that 1/4 acre clear!
    i dont know what ill do im always changing my mind, i got a bunch of turnips rape and chufa to plant. but that raod will be awesome if i can get a foodplot in there!
    thanks guys!