Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
really how hard is it to identify birds before you shoot?i know things happen and you dont allways call it right espically the hens heck im no pro at being able to tell ducks apart while they are flying but somebody tell me how in the world you can shoot a swan thinking its a freaken snow goose?there was another swan shot at columbia bottoms this weekend and the hunters tried to hide it.by the time they got to the building to turn in there cards the phones were ringing off the hook with reports so tom confrunted the guys when they came in and of course they denied it but did eventualy fess up to it.every morning they go through there speach and say we have swans using the area be carefull and dont mistake it for a snow goose.they then point to the swan and snow goose mounted on the wall and everybody laughs but yet they keep getting shot.this one i believe makes 10 so far this year and snow goose season isnt even gotten good yet.im really starting to wonder about the people that are hunting these days.

G

·
Walk into cb in the morning for the draw look around at the majority of the guys pulling pills that should answer your question:cheers:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:rof2::rof2::rof2: point taken

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in st.louis off of hwy 270 right before you go into illinoise

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its just annoying that somebody can make such a stupid mistake.me and the ol lady are in the middle of writing an artical for delta about the swan shootings just to find out there was another one this weekend.i seriously just dont get how you can think a bird that freaken big is a snow goose??

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
actually it almost happened to me last year come to think about it. It was late season the sun was low in the west and these 3 or 4 birds i thought where geese were flying right to me but where silohetted against the sun.

As i was pulling my gun up they made that little swan noise that they make and something hit me like something isnt right with these birds. I let them get past the sun and i realized they were swans.
I honestly thought they were big canadas, but my instincts told me something wasnt right about them.

The sun was in my eyes and i did the right thing and got a positive id on the birds b4 shooting.

It was scary to know that i almost pulled the trigger on them.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
been there done that.i have had them come in and thought they were canadians at a distance but when they were in shooting range there was no way i could mistake them.guess i will never understand

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Ya i know how ya feel, after near catastrophy I was shaking like a leaf! I thought there was no way anyone could make that mistake but after my near brush I could see how someone less experienced in the same situation I was in would have pulled the trigger honestly thinking they were geese.

That is one rare instance where I would understand that happening

·
Under appreciated
91,782 Posts
[rquote=1528013&tid=106510&author=Gakic24]Did thet get to keep the swan????[/rquote]

:hysterical::hysterical:

:cheers:

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
[rquote=1528017&tid=106510&author=rat][rquote=1528013&tid=106510&author=Gakic24]Did thet get to keep the swan????[/rquote]

:hysterical::hysterical:

:cheers:[/rquote]

:D:stirpot:

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
[rquote=1528021&tid=106510&author=deep woods goat hunter]i wouldnt think so. when i was a kid i shot 3 woodies by accident. got a ticket, agent took one of the pretty woody drakes.:whinging:
I was 6 years old, i cried[/rquote]

Ticket at age 6.... Now thats funny!!:rof2:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no they didnt keep it heck they tried to hide it in the dog hide on the blind.like nobody would ever find it there:rof2:

G

·
so they killed it out of the ada blind? there are alot better places to hide it in those woods lol they deserve what they get for their stupidity

·
Under appreciated
91,782 Posts
[rquote=1528036&tid=106510&author=greenheadsmoker]so they killed it out of the ada blind? there are alot better places to hide it in those woods lol they deserve what they get for their stupidity [/rquote]
The stupid part isnt where they chose to hide it.
The stupid part is that they shot it in the first place.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.