Serious Problem- Anyone a lawyer?

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by RAKMAN, Jan 30, 2006.

1. RAKMAN

RAKMAN Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Cape Girardeau
    Fellow members I am facing a problem that I am hoping to get some advice on. I had booked a Caribou hunt for this Sept. in Quebec. I have paid $2400 so far and my dad and brother have done likewise. I saw on another board that they had closed. After much investigation i found this to be true. I actually was able to contact their attorney who said that they are trying hard to work things out for the hunters who have booked and that they are trying to get another outfitter to take over their clients, but their would be no real promises. What should I do? The cost of a lawsuit would end up being more than what I have in it and if they declair bankruptcy I have no hope, I think anywhay.

Thanks for letting me vent. If anyone has anything to say please let me know.

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Did you get a reciept?

3. RAKMAN

RAKMAN Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Cape Girardeau
    i have a letter thanking me for my second payment. I also have an invoice which states my balance.

4. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    good grief, that burns! i hope you can straighten that mess out, keep those receipts tucked away real safe,
    they should be able refund your money. or if it will cost more, remember its not the money, its the principle behind the money! best of luck with your situation

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    As far as I am concerned, it sounds like promised services, payment made and therefore, a contract. I aint no lawyer, but you may have recourse.

Sound reasonable??

6. RAKMAN

RAKMAN Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Cape Girardeau
    Does anyone know what would happen if they delcare bankruptcy? Will all hope be lost?

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Dunno.. gosh, sounds like a pickle.

8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Yea.....I think I know where they will be putting that pickle too!! That whole thing sucks big time.

9. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    In my opinion the short answer is hope and your money will both be lost. Also, do you really think another outfitter would take their clients and forgive any payments already made to the first group? I think the lawyer is putting you off.

10. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    I'd look at your contract... what were the specifications on refunds? Because I'm thinking that most outfitters like that do non-fefundable down payments...

Hope everything works out though! :frown:

11. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Was this a canada hunt?

Sorry to hear about the problems wish you luck!

12. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

problem is your dealing with Canadian Law..who knows what their bankruptcy laws entail? If you spoke with their attorney thats good.your right in the assumption that a lawsuit would cost more than what you'v lost. In my opinion you should hope for another booking with an outfitter but Ithink thats a long shot. If ou get any $$ back I think you should consider yourself lucky. Good thing you found out about this now or you'dbe in a real pickle later.

I'm no lawyer but thats just my educated opinion.

I'd keep on that Canadian Lawyer.. persistance is your best bet.

13. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Was it on a credit card? Did you "sign" your name on anything?

If you did it on a cc, call your cc co and do a chargeback... simply tell them that you did not authorize the charge.. theyll take it from there...

14. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana

I don't know about that....sounds more like fraud than whatever is going on with the outfitter.

You've paid for a service and have some leverage, but they may also have the no refund ploicy as someone else has said. I'd keep trying to get in touch with them.
    Too many times people want to jump on the I'm going to sue you bandwagon. If you can get in touch with them and they will talk to you about whats going on I'd go that route as long as I could.

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Its always good business practice to try to get your $$ from them, however, regardless of them having a no refund policy... You paid for a service that you are not going to recieve.. you WILL get your money back from the cc co simply based on the "Goods and/or services paid for are not rendered". I used to deal with chargebacks on a daily basis... Its not that your not wanting to use what you paid for, you are not able to recieve the goods / services you paid for...

16. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Well that sounds a whole lot better than just tell them you didn't authorize the charge! If that is something a cc company does as a service then by all means go for it. However if rakman is getting taken advantage of, it doesn't make it right to take advantage the cc company. We all pay for that. Just like people turning things into insurance that are fake. :soapbox: We ALL pay for that kind of fraud.

17. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Right on, I didnt mean for everytime you dont like something to try to get out of it.. This company has gone out of business, so by all rights he should do everything in his power to get his moolah back.. And you dont have to worry about the CC, they are a multi billion dollar company, they WILL get their money back from their business client, theyve got the billion dollars to spend resolving it unlike us poorfolk.. CC's dont get defrauded too awful much, each and everytime you do a chargeback your name / ss is flagged (in a national databank) as doing so, now its not a bad thing, however if you do it with every cc you have and more then once, it will make them take a closer look and be hard for you to get a cc in the future... It does suck that because of fraudulent people we have to pay for their mistakes.. :banghead:

Keep tryin to resolve it with the company, however just keep the chargeback an option...

18. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana

Good info thanks !

19. My ?? would be did they take your last payment (installment) while in the process of shutting the doors. :confused:

20. pa_yote_hunter

pa_yote_hunter New Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Polk County, MO