Seeking advice please

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by D-mart, Feb 5, 2018.

1. D-mart

D-mart New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Hi. My girlfriend and I are from Kansas City KS. Last weekend we decided to drive to Eastern MO to camp in a tent and shed hunt. We camped near O’Fallon and shed hunted mostly in Weldon Springs/August A Busch Wildlife Area. We had a really good time but we didn’t find any antlers, just a skull and some live does. We want to go back in a couple weeks to do it again when it will be pretty prime shed hunting time but I am hoping to get advice from a generous Missouri native about good places to go, both for shed hunting and for camping options nearby the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

If you're just looking to shed hunt, hit Swope Park and the Blue River Corridor.
    Shawnee Mission Park, 79th & Renner, west of 435. They were using snipers to thin the herd, so there must be a few deer there...

3. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    2 weeks should be about the peak time

LovinTheHuntin likes this.
  4. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Man I'd go out west ks and hit some of the larger areas

Mailman likes this.
  5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Best bet is stay in Kansas....bigger rack there IMO

6. Chevy5282

Chevy5282 Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Graham Cave State Park has a nice camping area. I’m not sure about shed hunting there.

stickbow@73 likes this.
  7. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    I'd make a trip to Cheyenne Bottoms. They have a lot of open fields down there for it being wetlands.

8. hodawg

hodawg Active Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Weldon and Busch are heavily pressured by many, many local shed hunters. Many of those folks have shed dogs too so there's not much left laying for more than 12-24 hours. I sure wouldn't drive across the state to shed hunt there.

birdhunter33 likes this.
  9. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Where'd you camp in the Ofallon area?

10. D-mart

D-mart New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Cherokee Lakes Campground.

11. D-mart

D-mart New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I’ll take it all into consideration and hopefully find a shed on my next outing an a couple weeks.

12. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Id be shed hunting closer to home if I was you. Im 10 minutes from Busch and its like six flags nowadays.

birdhunter33 likes this.
  13. tkazzz

tkazzz Member

Very True, I have put 20 miles on the ground around food sources in those 2 areas and nothing yet. Did push a dozen yesterday holding both sides.

14. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    Forest 44, off of I-44

15. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I thought most those people lived there. :rofl: I would not be driving that far to hunt anywhere that close to an urban area. Big CA's in the middle of nowhere you would have a lot better options than ones hundreds of people walk a night.

16. jehrbo

jehrbo Full Fledged Member

That place is scary, glad it all worked out for ya :)

birdhunter33 likes this.
  17. I ve put many miles on the ground out there too and nothing found this year.. Its a busy place that's for sure, I have found a couple out there before though.

18. I live in a subdivision very close to there and we often see some overflow from that area, definitely some unique characters reside there.