Seedlings are looking good.

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by letemgrow, May 24, 2009.

1. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

Here are a few pics I snapped yesterday with my camera phone.

American Chestnut from seed I planted last fall.

[​IMG]

Hybrid oak from seed planted last fall.

[​IMG]

X-Large Northern Red from MDC seedlings planted last spring. X-Large trees are 1 year old seedlings that grew 30 or more inches for most species. One of the trees was 4 feet tall already when it arrived.

[​IMG]

I have an over-abundance of white oaks as opposed to red oaks on the farm so more reds will be needed (Northern Red, Shumard, and Cherry-Bark).

2. letemgrow

Checked and rounduped around the newly planted swamp chestnut oak, x-large shumard and cherry bark oaks and they are doing great!!

[file]58304[/file]

3. letemgrow

found some more green dragon in the process :claphands:

[file]58305[/file]

4. letemgrow

Oak regeneration in some TSI areas is looking good!!! There are 2 small white and one small northern red oaks in the pic. :cheers:

[file]58306[/file]

5. letemgrow

I believe that these are bleeding hearts and they were growing right next to the small oak seedlings.

[file]58307[/file]

6. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    Lookin good Letum.:cheers: I have a ton of oak sprouts coming in where I did the ethnic cleansing (TSI) on my sugar maples. If you need some red oak acorns let me know, my place is dominated by them. Mostly northern reds.

7. letemgrow

Northern Reds is the main one I am after so yeah, I will take some.

8. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    I'll try to remember to gather some this fall, but a reminder would prolly be a good idea. On a good year they are laying on the ground like carpet.

9. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
  10. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    if i knew someone was lookin for some i wouldnt have brush hogged about 4 acres of those little deals last week

11. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    :claphands:

I think you need to plant some more. ;) They are looking pretty healthy.

12. letemgrow

[rquote=1274251&tid=89180&author=HabitatMD]:claphands:

I think you need to plant some more. ;) They are looking pretty healthy.[/rquote]

I already have the fall order planned out, and it is a BIG list :cheers:

Serviceberry are going to be at the tops of the list right now along with Dwarf Chinkapin Oak, Concordia Oak and American Chestnut.

13. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    We have had so much rain, that my oak seedlings are bent under the weight of their new growth!:woot:

Serviceberry is at the top of my list. I ordered Serviceberry from Lincoln-Oakes Nursery this Spring, and planted them about 50 feet from the house. I'll have to post some pics to show what deer have done to them. Everyone is severly browsed, so deer are willing to take a chance of being :sniper: off my back pourch, just to browse the leaves. I'm going to plant 3-4 patches, and put protection around each patch.

I don't know what kind of Serviceberry Lincoln-Oakes sells, but that's the one deer really like. They bloomed and fruited shortly after planting, and I'll be ordering more of the same. In contrast, the Serviveberry I ordered from the MDC, have not been touched by deer.

You might want to check out those Lincoln-Oakes Serviceberry.:eek::

14. letemgrow

They sell what is known as Juneberry, I did not see where the MDC had any serviceberry for sale!! I wished I had not missed that one cause they would have been tops on my list!!

15. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Juneberry, Serviceberry, and Shad Bush = same plant. However, there are several varieties. Some become bushes, and some become small trees. What Lincoln-Oakes sells appears to be the bush type. I'm gonna have me a Serviceberry pie next year, if I can beat the wildlife to the berries.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Juneberries.html

Next year, I'm planting all bushes. Of course I'll be planting acorns in the Fall. Some of the acorns I planted last year are 10" seedlings now!

16. letemgrow

[rquote=1276460&tid=89180&author=brushpile]Juneberry, Serviceberry, and Shad Bush = same plant. However, there are several varieties. Some become bushes, and some become small trees. What Lincoln-Oakes sells appears to be the bush type. I'm gonna have me a Serviceberry pie next year, if I can beat the wildlife to the berries.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Juneberries.html

Next year, I'm planting all bushes. Of course I'll be planting acorns in the Fall. Some of the acorns I planted last year are 10" seedlings now![/rquote]

They sell the Saskatoon variety, which is more for northern climates I believe. I am still going to order a few and will hopefully find some downy and Allagheny serviceberry to go along with them. :cheers:

Those oak seedlings must really be taking off! Did you find most of them through the grass?? I just sprayed around all mine that popped up so they will be easier to find later on and left the 12" guards in place.

17. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    I had good acorn germination, and my few bare areas are covered with small seedlings. However, my soil is very fertile, and with all the rain, many seedlings were lost under weeds that grew up and toppled over in mass. This fall I'm going to prepare the soil, mark off plots, and spray in early Spring. My goal is to grow thick patches of oak brush mixed with pine, that deer will bed in... should take about 3-4 years from seed.

18. letemgrow

that's a good goal to have :claphands: