Seed swap sticky

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by jaytee, May 24, 2009.

1. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Any way we could get a permanent sticky here in the management/habitat section for swapping seeds, cuttings, trees, ect.?

2. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    I'll second that. Saves money, creates diversity, and promotes habitat.:claphands::woot::eek:::cheers:

3. fish

fish I love work. I can watch it all day.

I'll third that.:2thumbsup:

Got some stuff to trade and would like some new stuff to diversify:cheers:

4. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

Yeah, lets make this happen!:woot: It would make it much easier to find instead of having to go back and look up the old post every few months. And it would be a great service for the guys that own property and are looking to make improvements on a budget.

Besides the critters never eat all of those seeds anyhow.:2thumbsup:

5. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Thanks admin, you folks are AWESOME!!!!:cheers::cheers:

6. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

With any luck, this fall I should have:

To swap;
    white oak
    red oak
    shingle oak
    black oak
    chinkapin oak
    walnut
    persimmon
    paw paw

I am looking for:
    any forbs for my new NWSG planting
    any wild flowers
    chestnuts
    hazelnuts
    open to suggestions :thinking:

7. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    I need Chinkapin Oak, White Oak, Bur Oak, and Hybrid Oak to plant this Fall.

I don't know what I have to trade though... it's been one of those years again.

8. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I could use some wildflowers as well.

I have plenty of oaks of all varieties, persimmons, and Big Bluestem to trade.

9. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    I will have lots of walnut, white oak and post oaks to share.

Would like some chestnuts, wsg, and forbs to put in my savanna's.

Also would like fruit bearing trees and bushes....

Wish I had more to share.

10. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    I have persimmon, TONS of red, white and black oaks, walnuts out the whazzoo, blue indigo, yellow indigo, sensative briar, ohio spiderwort, gooseberry, blackberry, hickory, summac, wild plum, big blue, indiangrass, little blue and sideoats gramma and probably a few others. Now if I just knew when and what to pick. Oh forgot one, actually two. I have a little bit o honeysuckle for Dano and just a tad bit of multi-flora rose as well.

11. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    [rquote=1274517&tid=89184&author=jaytee]I have persimmon, TONS of red, white and black oaks, walnuts out the whazzoo, blue indigo, yellow indigo, sensative briar, ohio spiderwort, gooseberry, blackberry, hickory, summac, wild plum, big blue, indiangrass, little blue and sideoats gramma and probably a few others. Now if I just knew when and what to pick. Oh forgot one, actually two. I have a little bit o honeysuckle for Dano and just a tad bit of multi-flora rose as well.[/rquote]

Booo!

Well, I've got a few patches around the house here of Illinois Bundleflower and Partridge Pea that I can harvest. If hippie would be willing to pick some seeds, we've got quite a bit of this and that (NWSG and wildflowers). If anyone would like to take a drive this fall, you could pick until your heart is content.

I'm looking for non-yellow wildflowers.

12. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

Booo!

Well, I've got a few patches around the house here of Illinois Bundleflower and Partridge Pea that I can harvest. If hippie would be willing to pick some seeds, we've got quite a bit of this and that (NWSG and wildflowers). If anyone would like to take a drive this fall, you could pick until your heart is content.

I'm looking for non-yellow wildflowers.[/rquote]

I just might have to get your addy and take drive this fall to pick some seeds Dan.

I have some purple cone flowers in my garden at home. I'll see what I can get for ya later on.

13. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Well, I'm starting a NWSG/wildflower patch behind the house in some common ground. I'll have to see what I get this fall. I'm not expecting a whole bunch. I only put in a little strip. Only had a 10 species forb mix too.

You are more than welcome. Hippie is pretty good at ID'ing stuff after its dead. Should be plenty of NWSG grass seed as well. Like I said, we are heavy on the yellows. The two that come to mind are black-eye susan and gray headed coneflower. Heck, you could probably just grab a little of whatever you see.

14. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

jmbuckhunter,

I should have your hazelnuts this fall and possibly some american chestnuts if the 3 year old trees produce this year. One flowered last year so maybe it will happen this time.

15. letemgrow

Jaytee,

I do not have any sensitive brair and would like some walnuts off of straight trees. What are you looking for in a trade?? I can get some eastern wahoo, hazelnuts, various forbes (rattlesnake master, blazing star, purple prairie clover, roundheaded bush clover, partridge pea, illinois bundleflower, new england aster, white wild indigo, grey headed coneflower and some others I am sure I forgot about. :D

16. letemgrow

My needs are:
    1. Veneer quality black walnuts.
    2. Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks.
    3. Chinkapin Oaks.
    4. Serviceberry.
    5. Various wildlfowers.

17. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Looking for any blue/purple or orange wildflowers in the 12 to 24 inch range. I've got yellows and a few whites.

18. bhanks55

bhanks55 Active Member

Dec 4, 2008
    anybody have any rr beans they would want to swap for some rr corn? (really would like some forage beans, but beggers might not be able to be choosers)

19. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    Should have chinkapin and northern red oak acorns. Could use white oak acorns and persimmon.

bh55 I might be able to get you some rr beans. Had a fellow ask me yesterday if I wanted 250# of free seed. Prolly won't see him again till next thursday.

20. bhanks55

bhanks55 Active Member

Dec 4, 2008
    nasty

thanks. let me know. Be a nice excuse to meet for lunch anyway some time.