Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am embarrassed to be asking this...

I have done the food plot thing using name brand whitetail seed mixes from packages bearing images of abnormally large deer. That worked out well and I learned more than I thought I would ever know about herbicides in the process. But when it comes to buying seed otherwise, I am a complete newbie. So here it goes:

If I wanted to plant enough winter wheat in the fall for 2 acres, where would I go to get that seed and when would I have to do it? Can you get it from a co-op or do you have to find a seed store? Do they deal in quantities that small? Do I have to order ahead of time or can it be bought over the counter? When is the right time to buy it? Any suggestions for a source in the Hermann / Rhineland area?

Thanks ahead of time. Like I said, I'm a newbie at this!

-WP

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You can get the seed from any co-op or MFA store when you are ready to plant. Sept. would be the time to plant. Prolly mid to late Sept. I planted mine about the 1st this year and I think that was a little too early, next year I will wait a little later. It comes in 50-60 lb. bags so you can get however much you need.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,684 Posts
Looks like Brander pretty much covered it. Seeding rate for Wheat is around 75#/acre.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,172 Posts
If your sowing wheat straight and not as a cover crop,,,you might want to go 100# Plus. We go 125# for cash crop wheat.

And your wheat like brassicas will do better with a decent dose of nitrogen,,or at least rotate it in behind a legume like soybeans or clovers, alfalfa.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
You should be able to get ww seed in either Rhineland or Hermann. MFA and Rhineland Grain (if it's still in business, I ain't been there since '93 flood) can both help you out.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Wheat loves nitrogen. I have had good luck finding 36-x-x slow relase yard fertizers on sale at season end (August). I mix it 1 bag to 2 13-13-13. It really greens up the wheat and keeps it that way through deer season

1 - 7 of 7 Posts