Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:arse:Out this morning feeding my flock of hummingbirds and two Toms are having a gobble contest. Latest I have ever heard in my woods. Think they might be suggesting a second nesting to make up for weather related nest failure? Maybe I can get some questioning my brain like I sadly see on here so often now.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
We called in gobblers in kansas last weekend. Gobblers still being vocal is normal. The number of hens they were attracting was way above normal.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
I called in a turkey in Michigan on Wednesday that died....strutting and gobbling all the way in.
I did the same thing in ks 2 hours ago...

· Banned
66,381 Posts
I know of multiple turkeys killed this year that we decided were very late hatch 2 year olds. They had 1/2" spurs ~8 " beards ~15# but pretty much full fanned.
Im pretty sure those are actually super early hatched birds.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
They were also killed in areas that very very late poults were seen two years ago, and also had a lot of early nest failures.
That may be, but by year 2 they would have caught up if they were late from what I understand, at least the beards. Turkey growth patterns are weird. Those very early poults from last year are the "super jakes" with the short spurs and 7-8 inch beard, at least thats what MDC turkey bios have told me.

· Registered
32,089 Posts
What part of the state slik? About 2 weeks ago turkeys were all of a sudden gobbling a lot. Was also seeing some strutters on my way to work which I had not seen for awhile.
This is Franklin county, maybe further north is later?
On a similar note, the quail whistling has really picked up again this week. Been 2 whistling back and forth on opposite ends of our yard all week.

Reactions: Hawk

· Banned
81,617 Posts
What part of the state slik? About 2 weeks ago turkeys were all of a sudden gobbling a lot. Was also seeing some strutters on my way to work which I had not seen for awhile.
This is Franklin county, maybe further north is later?
On a similar note, the quail whistling has really picked up again this week. Been 2 whistling back and forth on opposite ends of our yard all week.
He is northern Boone county. Not too far southeast of my place.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
:arse:Out this morning feeding my flock of hummingbirds and two Toms are having a gobble contest. Latest I have ever heard in my woods. Think they might be suggesting a second nesting to make up for weather related nest failure? Maybe I can get some questioning my brain like I sadly see on here so often now.
To give my opinion more directly to your original question. I think the gobblers drive to breed is the same as normal . They are available to make sure late nesting hens are fertilized every year.

· Registered
6,911 Posts
HAVE SEEN A LARGE GROUP OF QUAIL CHICKS WITH QUAIL AND PHEASANT TALKING A LOT. HAVE SEEN 2 HEN TURKEY THE LAST 3 DAYS. today was alone for sure but do not know whether she is still setting on a nest or what.
i have seen toms working hard thru June in heavy rain years. Also saw the first spotted one a week ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.